macon bacon from other stuff???

cmseeley

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Alright... I have been seeing a bunch of bacon posts lately.

Belly, Buckboard, Canadian...

Has anybody made bacon with anything else? Like how about turkey breast:idea:? I make buckboard all the time, cause it has less fat... You know healthy and all that stuff. All the health weirdo's eat turkey bacon, right. I am not even sure what turkey bacon really is :doh:!! I wonder if I took a turkey breast, and did the same thing as I do with the pork butt if I would end up with anything good? Has anyone here done anything like that?

Thanks,

Chris

The basic curing brine (or rub) is as you know just salt, nitrites/nitrates & sugar. This is the basic cure for curing pretty much anything... pork, beef, fish, etc..

To me calling turkey "bacon" is like calling cured & smoked fish bacon :)

MMmmm love me some salmon bacon, hehe.

I think bacon has to come from a pig doesn't it? This is what one dictionary says (on my Mac OS X).

153sgf6.jpg

The "turkey bacon" we see at the store.. is that not just a gimmick to sell us mechanically separated & pressed turkey bits as "healthy bacon"?

YES!!! I agree with you 110%!!!

Bacon is bacon is bacon... From the pig.

And I think the mechanically separated and formed bacon looking stuff called turkey bacon is nasty.

I was just curios if someone took a hunk of turkey breast and slabbed it with the classic dry rub cure like we do with bacon. And if so how did it turn out? Was also thinking about trying it with beef?

Just curios I guess.

Chris

basically corned beef is what your describing. A basic brine/cure with the addition of more herbs and spices. I did a buckboard bacon with all sorts of savory spices last year and it was out of this world. I think you can corn or brine just about anything, I say give it a try. I have a couple turkeys in the deep freeze, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Hrm I recall when I smoked my turkey last Thanksgiving it had a thick smoke ring that tasted cured & smoked... it tasted a bit like ham.

You got me wondering now what it'd taste like -- cured, smoked & cut across the grain.

I'm kind of a bacon "puriest" if you will and believe bacon comes from one critter and one critter only - the pig. But....I've made some "bacon" from lamb and it is pretty farking good.

Alright... I have been seeing a bunch of bacon posts lately.

Belly, Buckboard, Canadian...

Has anybody made bacon with anything else? Like how about turkey breast:idea:? I make buckboard all the time, cause it has less fat... You know healthy and all that stuff. All the health weirdo's eat turkey bacon, right. I am not even sure what turkey bacon really is :doh:!! I wonder if I took a turkey breast, and did the same thing as I do with the pork butt if I would end up with anything good? Has anyone here done anything like that?

Thanks,

Chris

I have made beef bacon from beef navels (the part of the belly not used for brisket or hamburger) and it comes our really good, and I have also made venison bacon.

I have made lean turkey ham from turkey breast at my wife's request, I imagine you could slice that thin and crisp it like bacon, but I think it might become too dry to enjoy because the turkey breast is really lean.

I have made beef bacon from beef navels (the part of the belly not used for brisket or hamburger).

I have never seen this cut of meat for sale anywhere. What do they typically do with it? Where did you buy it?

Back