MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #31
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
Awesome build and great cook!

Did the sides / bottom get too hot?
I was going to shoot the box with an IR thermo but got carried away in the cook.

Based upon the missing hair on my arms and blisters on my hands, I'd say 75% of the heat goes straight up 15% sides and about 10% bottom. I have about a 4" draft from the bottom to the charcoal grate.

I'm going to be cooking on it again this week and I'll shoot some temps around the box just to see how and where the heat is.

I was thinking on having one ceramic coated for chits and giggles.

Welding gloves and long utensils are helpful for those items that are not skewered and need turning.

I have read, even with the diatomaceous earth type Konro's that a board is often placed between the bottom of Konro and the table or setting surface.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #32
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Curious, how much does your Konro weigh? Looks like it's made entirely of steel.
Well, it's quite heavy, as I keep welding little designs on it and modifying the grill here and there. It weighs at least 60 lbs now and it's 1/8" steel all around.

And what I like about the length of my grill is that I can just light one end of the grill and cook on that end and follow it as the lit coals slowly migrate to the other end. I can grill continuously for at least 3 hours without having to reload this way.

My grill does radiate a lot of heat, just like my big screen tv, but that'll be most welcomed during the cooler months....:)

Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Well, it's quite heavy, as I keep welding little designs on it and modifying the grill here and there. It weighs at least 60 lbs now and it's 1/8" steel all around.

And what I like about the length of my grill is that I can just light one end of the grill and cook on that end and follow it as the lit coals slowly migrate to the other end. I can grill continuously for at least 3 hours without having to reload this way.

My grill does radiate a lot of heat, just like my big screen tv, but that'll be most welcomed during the cooler months....:)
I thought yours might be a little heavy, mine weighs in at 41 lbs.

Hmmm, I have two 24" pieces bent right now, with open ends. I guess I could splice the two together and make a monster 48" x 10" x 10" Konro?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #34
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Using regular lump, you probably want something under there. If you use Binchotan, you NEED something. It will scorch wood

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #35
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Finsihed my last two, for now anyway;

Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow, those are beautiful! I would love to be on your list for the next set.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
deepsouth

that's awesome!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #38
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks! I've been using the heck out of mine lately. I don't have a small lump burner and I've found that my Konro is perfect for the two of us. Just light up a chimney of lump and dump it in. Fire is plenty hot and last a few hours, more than enough time to cook my steaks, chicken, salmon, shrimp, veggies, etc.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #39
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Thanks! I've been using the heck out of mine lately. I don't have a small lump burner and I've found that my Konro is perfect for the two of us. Just light up a chimney of lump and dump it in. Fire is plenty hot and last a few hours, more than enough time to cook my steaks, chicken, salmon, shrimp, veggies, etc.
Just curious to see how you like this cooker after having used it for awhile?

I am thinking about building one next time I am home for a long weekend, but wanted to get your updated thoughts on what you would do different if anything
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #40
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotech View Post
Just curious to see how you like this cooker after having used it for awhile?

I am thinking about building one next time I am home for a long weekend, but wanted to get your updated thoughts on what you would do different if anything
I have been using it a few times a month. I can't really think of anything I'd do different other than make a bigger one for larger groups. I use about 1/2 a chimney now for the two of us. Just dump more towards one end and keep the other end as a cooler spot if needed.

Would be nice to insulate it somehow as it radiates the heat. It could double as a fire feature or heater and keep everybody warm at the table or patio, lol.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #41
buccaneer

Fantastic!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #42
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Those are sweet. Very nice! My son would totally dig the dragon.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote