Wet Wood for tomorrow

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All I was going to fire up my Shirley tomorrow for 2 racks of ribs, but it's raining here and my wood is UNcoverd.. So all my wood is soaked? What to do any way around the the wet wood?
Thanks DanB

Hi All I was going to fire up my Shirley tomorrow for 2 racks of ribs, but it's raining here and my wood is UNcoverd.. So all my wood is soaked? What to do any way around the the wet wood?
Thanks DanB
Find the largest pieces that have been most protected, split again, ignite using charcoal, and use the heat to dry the next pieces to be used on top of the firebox.
Or get pizza and relax.

wet wood

Hi From what I can see they all look soaked.:mmph:
Plan B would my WSM.
Thanks Dan

My guess would be only the outer few MM's of wood is wet. I saw a video awhile back where someone submerged a log for quite a long time then cut it in half and it was mostly still dry. Once you get the firebox hot you can use it to dry the next few logs.

wet wood

My guess would be only the outer few MM's of wood is wet. I saw a video awhile back where someone submerged a log for quite a long time then cut it in half and it was mostly still dry. Once you get the firebox hot you can use it to dry the next few logs.

Hi I'll have to check tomorrow,when it stops raining..I messed up I should have put some splits where they would have stayed dry..Oh well next time.

Thanks DanB

I wouldn't think twice about using it. Not going to be enough moisture to affect anything. Just start with some charcoal and some of your wet wood. Put some splits on the firebox. By the time you need them, they will be dry. Then just keep replacing the splits on top of your firebox as you use them.

Hi From what I can see they all look soaked.:mmph:
Plan B would my WSM.
Thanks Dan
It takes months to dry wood, a little rain can't reverse that. It's always still dry in the middle. Plus, there's always charcoal starter fluid.

I'm guessing you've never been a scout.:loco:

If you're not married, throw five or six splits in your home oven overnight at 150 to 200 degrees!

If you are married, depends on your wife!

the wood will not soak up water and is just on the outside and just knock off maybe the bark . start off with some charcoal to ignite the splits and then just warm them up on top of your firebox .

If wood absorbed water the Nino, Pinto and Santa Margarita would of never floated long enough for Chris to discover Arizona

Just start with a good bed of coals and you will be fine

Larry

I tried to use this argument before and was told "They used sap to seal the wood".

I was not around then, but sounds possible.

Just another argument to; 1. Don’t soak chunks or chips. It does no good.
2. Always pre heat wood splits. It increases ignition.

Everyone above have voted for these two statements. Go ahead and cook. You will be fine.

wet wood

Thanks all . I just might give the wet wood a shot. I have to fire up the Shirley it has been resting way too long, with my over nights going into the WSM.
I will post back with the outcome

Thanks Again
DanB

water pan

Hi All I'm thinking of putting a water pan in my Shirley. Where would be the best place for it? My ribs are going on the top rack.
Thanks DanB

dont bother on a reverse flow.

if you did I would guess on the bottom rack opposite the firebox

What kind of wood were you using and are you using only wood or just using it for smoke? If you are just using it for smoke then a trip to Home Depot will get you a bag to use until wood dries.

wet wood

Hi All When I uncovered the Shirley, I found some dry wood:clap2:
Shirley is going good now. I put a water pan on the top rack away from the firebox..I might move it to bottom center rack and put the ribs on the top rack?
Thanks DanB

Hi All Things went really well. Ribs came out good, wifey like them!
Wood was no problem once the firebox got going.Dried the some what wet splits on the firebox..
Thanks DanB

Yea, if the wood is dried it will not soak up a lot of moisture from rain or snow. Glad things went well for ya.

I keep some splits dry under my patio roof. I dry more on my firebox as I go.

If all else fails you can build your initial fire with Charcoal...

Back