Addicted to rubs?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I don't know why but it's just fun throwing these in the car and paying for them. I've had good results using Kosmos for briskets and Sweet Swine O' Mine for Butts. in this picture this is just one order of rubs I need to pull everything out of the cupboard to see what I actually have LOL.

lys81Lr.jpg

I’m the same way. At last count I have 17 different rubs, from 12 different manufacturers. Funny thing is I use the old generic Mcormick Sweet& Smokey the most.

I am loaded to the gills with rubs too. Also, if you love rubs you need to make sure to sign up for the Brethren trade off, (if you haven't already) whenever they decide to start it back up. Those are some good ones you have there (Killer Hogs is good, but you have to go heavy on the amount). Let me know what you think about the Yes Dear comp. sauce.

I've always wanted to try some of the rubs that get so much attention on here, but have shied away due mainly to cost and shipping. End up making my own, which I (we) usually think are good (decent). Maybe one day I'll jump in..

I've always wanted to try some of the rubs that get so much attention on here, but have shied away due mainly to cost and shipping. End up making my own, which I (we) usually think are good (decent). Maybe one day I'll jump in..

If you're seasoning your food at home with your own salt, pepper, paprika (etc) then you're already 2 steps ahead of these guys buying stale spices w/silly names @1000% markup. You think Aaron Franklin would be caught dead putting Dizzy Pig on, well, anything? :wink:

I've had to stop buying them and just work through what I have. I've even resorted to parking some shakers at the cabin to clear out the home cabinet.

I am loaded to the gills with rubs too. Also, if you love rubs you need to make sure to sign up for the Brethren trade off, (if you haven't already) whenever they decide to start it back up. Those are some good ones you have there (Killer Hogs is good, but you have to go heavy on the amount). Let me know what you think about the Yes Dear comp. sauce.

Yes, Dear BBQ competition sauce is very good. Reminds me I need to buy some more, lol...........I'm fond of that one and Kosmo's competition sauce as well.

If you're seasoning your food at home with your own salt, pepper, paprika (etc) then you're already 2 steps ahead of these guys buying stale spices w/silly names @1000% markup. You think Aaron Franklin would be caught dead putting Dizzy Pig on, well, anything? :wink:

Not to sound disrespectful, but you sound like a hater to me.first of all, most barbecue restaurants don't add a bunch of unique rubs to their meat. The reason why is because they're feeding hundreds to thousands of people a day. They don't have time to get cute with the meat. You got any real barbecue restaurant, they will tell you the weekend warrior enthusiast and competitors make better food than they do solely because we spend more time

Also, some of these rubs have a very unique profile that's hard to replicate at home. I can get a specific recipe for an excellent rub and it might not come out the same solely because the black pepper could be a little more cores or the salt is very fine their specific ways of how they do things. to me, the best homemade rub is Memphis dust. That stuff is excellent but it could be better if they gave specifics on how to grind specific spices in whatnot.

Last edited:

I agree with you on the shipping cost. Generally I sign up for emails and do my ordering when they offer free shipping, generally around holidays.

Salt, Pepper, & Paprika...dang it why didn't I think of that?

Not to sound disrespectful, but you sound like a hater to me.first of all, most barbecue restaurants don't add a bunch of unique rubs to their meat. The reason why is because they're feeding hundreds to thousands of people a day. They don't have time to get cute with the meat. You got any real barbecue restaurant, they will tell you the weekend warrior enthusiast and competitors make better food than they do solely because we spend more time

Also, some of these rubs have a very unique profile that's hard to replicate at home. I can get a specific recipe for an excellent rub and it might not come out the same solely because the black pepper could be a little more cores or the salt is very fine their specific ways of how they do things. to me, the best homemade rub is Memphis dust. That stuff is excellent but it could be better if they gave specifics on how to grind specific spices in whatnot.

Not really trying to hate, and I apologize if that came across as overly confrontational. I just personally think commercial rubs are a trap that novices fall into that is self-limiting and prevents them from taking their food to the next level. They lend a bland sameness to BBQ in the same way that Dale's or McCormick seasonings lend to Steak. I'm not saying it's bad per se, but it has an amateur quality that you can spot a mile away. I know all this sounds a little too pinky in the air, especially for a BBQ forum, but I'd much rather hand someone a copy of APL's SeriousBBQ - that focuses on building flavors through technique and basting - than a bottle of Meat Church. I think we'd all be better off in the long run for it...

Another way to get a lotta rubs is win a throwdown. This is my haul from Big Poppa Smokers who generously provided an incredible assortment of their rubs (and a couple of bottles of sauce) for the winners of this quarter's throwdowns. Plus BPS gave me a $50 gift card so I used it for some Meat Church and Simply Marvelous rubs.

Attachments

• 12gI1lu.jpg
    12gI1lu.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 253
  • vdv8Bik.jpg
    vdv8Bik.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 254
I make most of mine up, taking hints from various videos and recipes on the web. Make them up fresh and shake away. My wife uses my version of SPGO on some of her cooking.

Not really trying to hate, and I apologize if that came across as overly confrontational. I just personally think commercial rubs are a trap that novices fall into that is self-limiting and prevents them from taking their food to the next level. They lend a bland sameness to BBQ in the same way that Dale's or McCormick seasonings lend to Steak. I'm not saying it's bad per se, but it has an amateur quality that you can spot a mile away. I know all this sounds a little too pinky in the air, especially for a BBQ forum, but I'd much rather hand someone a copy of APL's SeriousBBQ - that focuses on building flavors through technique and basting - than a bottle of Meat Church. I think we'd all be better off in the long run for it...

I wonder if the top comp cooks use commercial rubs?

I think experimenting with all the available rubs and spices is one of the best parts of cooking out. No apologies for 3 cabinets of rubs.

I’ve thought about it quite a bit, may be off base- but if I could only have one seasoning I think it would be salt. If you get the right amount of salt at the right time on your cook, it’s pleasantly enhanced. I love black pepper and garlic , red and green chile all the other myriad of possibilities. But sometimes I just use salt- Naturiffic selections, Kosher-Sea-Himalayan etc. hopefully it never comes to just one. But if it did I’d pick Salt

Some people already have it figured out.

I went through a phase where I searched high and low for any rubs I could find. Any local stores and on internet. Hundreds of dollars later.

I usually go to fiesta brand seasonings, head country, and aurthur byrants. Pretty much run of the mill cheap stuff.

I don't order anything but I look every where I go for stuff others post good reviews of, I can get some suckle busters stuff local, love the 1836 on beef and brisket, tried a few others of them and all were worth buying again

Well, you wrote what I was thinking. AND most of the rub recipes on the web appear to be made by some backwoods housewife. I made my own rub last night, I will report back after the cook finishes today.

Yes, I read the responses to your post. I think a few got a little chafed because they love/use rubs but there is room for both processes. Heck, when I make Ruben's I make my own sauerkraut, & Russian dressing. It is part of the fun AND I do better than most of the store bought stuff.

Back