MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #16
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think experimenting with all the available rubs and spices is one of the best parts of cooking out. No apologies for 3 cabinets of rubs.

I’ve thought about it quite a bit, may be off base- but if I could only have one seasoning I think it would be salt. If you get the right amount of salt at the right time on your cook, it’s pleasantly enhanced. I love black pepper and garlic , red and green chile all the other myriad of possibilities. But sometimes I just use salt- Naturiffic selections, Kosher-Sea-Himalayan etc. hopefully it never comes to just one. But if it did I’d pick Salt
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #17
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33 View Post
Not to sound disrespectful, but you sound like a hater to me.first of all, most barbecue restaurants don't add a bunch of unique rubs to their meat. The reason why is because they're feeding hundreds to thousands of people a day. They don't have time to get cute with the meat. You got any real barbecue restaurant, they will tell you the weekend warrior enthusiast and competitors make better food than they do solely because we spend more time

Also, some of these rubs have a very unique profile that's hard to replicate at home. I can get a specific recipe for an excellent rub and it might not come out the same solely because the black pepper could be a little more cores or the salt is very fine their specific ways of how they do things. to me, the best homemade rub is Memphis dust. That stuff is excellent but it could be better if they gave specifics on how to grind specific spices in whatnot.
Some people already have it figured out.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #18
Ylouder
On the road to being a farker

I went through a phase where I searched high and low for any rubs I could find. Any local stores and on internet. Hundreds of dollars later.

I usually go to fiesta brand seasonings, head country, and aurthur byrants. Pretty much run of the mill cheap stuff.
Ylouder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #19
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I don't order anything but I look every where I go for stuff others post good reviews of, I can get some suckle busters stuff local, love the 1836 on beef and brisket, tried a few others of them and all were worth buying again

Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #20
Skidkid
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonVolt View Post
If you're seasoning your food at home with your own salt, pepper, paprika (etc) then you're already 2 steps ahead of these guys buying stale spices w/silly names @1000% markup. You think Aaron Franklin would be caught dead putting Dizzy Pig on, well, anything?
Well, you wrote what I was thinking. AND most of the rub recipes on the web appear to be made by some backwoods housewife. I made my own rub last night, I will report back after the cook finishes today.

Yes, I read the responses to your post. I think a few got a little chafed because they love/use rubs but there is room for both processes. Heck, when I make Ruben's I make my own sauerkraut, & Russian dressing. It is part of the fun AND I do better than most of the store bought stuff.
Skidkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #21
Whumpa
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I wonder if the top comp cooks use commercial rubs?
I have absolutely no proof in the matter, but I would be willing to bet top dollar that commercial rubs have been, are being, and will be used by top cooks in competitions. And have won, are winning, and will win with them. Taste is such a subjective matter. Really, who is to say what is good or what is bad? Just my .02s
Whumpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #22
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whumpa View Post
I have absolutely no proof in the matter, but I would be willing to bet top dollar that commercial rubs have been, are being, and will be used by top cooks in competitions. And have won, are winning, and will win with them. Taste is such a subjective matter. Really, who is to say what is good or what is bad? Just my .02s
It was rhetorical in reply to the guy too good for commercial rubs, but I bet you are right :)!
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #23
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Daniel

This place is dangerous. Since joining and becoming active here I’ve ordered $150 worth of rubs and a few sauces and a barrel smoker. I’ve always just made my own rubs from either recipes or frankenrubs. Truthfully I’m just curious to play with different flavor profiles so I can develop different flavors and see if I can come up with my own style. I think playing with different rubs just makes it easy to experiment with different flavors and I’m looking forward to some upcoming cooks with my new spice collection.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #24
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
It was rhetorical in reply to the guy too good for commercial rubs, but I bet you are right :)!

Just a different philosophy towards cooking & bbq is all, but by all means if you feel I'm "too good" for challenging the status quo then, well, I agree with you.
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #25
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

I'll be honest with ya.. A jug of BBQ sauce like that would go to waste in my house.. I Try to use BBQ sauce but I just forget.. and I never apply it to anything I cook lol

Old 07-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #26
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Sauces and rubs can be fun. I've bought some just to support brands before. I have several things from Killer Hogs, just because I loved a few of his recipes. It felt like a good way to support him. I need to do the same with Kosmos since their meatloaf recipe was 'knock me over' delicious. I send out Oakridge gift packs to anyone in my cigar group, if they get a new smoker. Many of them turn around and make additional orders of the stuff (how about a referral code, Mike? )

Salt and Pepper are great, I use them all the time. But that doesn't mean a rub isn't better. We cook a lot of steak for family and friends, and it's often ALDI meat (I actually like it a LOT better than the local grocery chains) and I typically use Oakridge Carne Crosta. She was on a 'womans weekend' with her sisters and friends, and they went to some uppity steakhouse. Several of them said they liked my steaks better. I'm not doing anything earth shattering with my cook-I just don't pretend that premade seasoning hasn't advanced in the past 30 years.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #27
Tbro
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tom

Is there anyone else out there that can’t ever taste the rubs. No matter what rubs I use, with the exception of Montreal seasoning, on brisket, pork shoulder, or steak. TravelingJ reminded me a week ago I grilled a couple steaks. I also used Carne Costa. Put it on pretty heavy, nothing could of been a plain steak? That’s why I mainly use just salt and pepper.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #28
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Sounds like your taster is busted! Even when I had plain steaks (from the local chains that I've since stopped using) I could still taste the Carne. On a good steak, it enhances everything. On a bad steak, it becomes the only saving grace.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #29
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I like to find good stuff and all of that has been refered on here as great stuff to use. It looks like you will be eating very good soon! To me,a good rub is important, because I dont use sauce unless it is requested by the boss lady. Otherwise, I want a good rub that will make the meat shine.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #30
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

I use these Private Selections from Kroger. They’re amazing. They have Texas, Memphis, Kansas City and Carolina. I used to make my own until I found these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote