MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie
Default SRF Black Label (16.4 Lbs) Massive Fail

Hey All,

So I just went to my 2nd KCBS competition at the Smoke on the Harbor BBQ Throwdown in Mt. Pleasant, SC. I decided to "up my game" so to speak and pick up a SRF wagyu brisket. It was my first time cooking wagyu so I brought along a CAB Choice as a backup. I read a lot of threads in here and everything seemed to suggest that wagyu cooks much faster.

So I did my normal cooking method for a competition : good trim, injection, rub, and smoked it at 250-275F for about 10 hours. I started doing the probe test once it hit 190F and the flat really didn't get tender until about 198F. So I pulled it, gave it about a 3 hour rest, and was super excited to start slicing it for the turn-in box. Problem : it was nothing but un-rendered, disgusting, fat. I tried getting 6 good slices from the flat but the entire thing was just nothing but fat and the mouth feel made me nauseous.

Luckily I had my CAB as a back up and that came out perfect and I took 6th in brisket.

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas as to what I could have done differently. I wish I had taken some pictures to show but the entire flat was just nothing but fat. On a wagyu do you need to do the probe test differently ? I just was so mad... $180 straight into the trash because none of it was edible at all. The point was very much the same and it was nothing but a mess of fat. I actually trimmed all of the fat cap off of the point and I'm just lost as to why that brisket came out so poorly. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Bigbass300
Got Wood.

I cooked my first Waygu this past weekend and found it took longer to get till the entire thing felt tender. Was well past 205°. Did you probed it for tenderness in several places?
Bigbass300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbass300 View Post
I cooked my first Waygu this past weekend and found it took longer to get till the entire thing felt tender. Was well past 205°. Did you probed it for tenderness in several places?
Yeah, probed all over the flat and it was perfectly tender as far as I could tell. I read quite a few threads on here about cooking wagyu and the big takeaway was that fat renders before lean muscle tissue, so compared to a choice / prime the wagyu should be tender at a lower finishing temp. Either way I started checking at 190 and it was tight, but once it got to 198 it felt perfect.

I ended up taking my CAB Choice to 203 before it was perfectly tender.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

Copied from BBQbeat.com

Larry

I've attended a few competition BBQ classes, and without giving away specifics – each and every one has used both rubs and injections when cooking Wagyu brisket. The one thing I’ve heard and read in a few of the various online BBQ forums is that Wagyu briskets tend to cook a little bit longer than their less marbled counterparts, as you want to be sure and get the extra fat rendered. Some have reported finishing temperatures as high as 213 to 217 F!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Bigbass300
Got Wood.

I've been told, and now seen, Waygu will go to a higher temp...who knows. I cooked it till the probe slid effortlessly in, and then looked at the temp.
Bigbass300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
5am
On the road to being a farker

Do you consistently do well in brisket tenderness?
5am is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKaos View Post
Copied from BBQbeat.com

Larry

I've attended a few competition BBQ classes, and without giving away specifics – each and every one has used both rubs and injections when cooking Wagyu brisket. The one thing I’ve heard and read in a few of the various online BBQ forums is that Wagyu briskets tend to cook a little bit longer than their less marbled counterparts, as you want to be sure and get the extra fat rendered. Some have reported finishing temperatures as high as 213 to 217 F!
Sounds like I didn't do enough research and this is likely why I still had so much un-rendered fat. It probed perfectly at about 198 though and about 11 hours at 250-275. OK, thanks, maybe down the road I'll give it another try and see what happens. Just glad I brought a CAB as back up.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5am View Post
Do you consistently do well in brisket tenderness?
It was only my 2nd KCBS contest but when I cook at home I cook until it probes like butter, so my consistency is pretty solid.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I'm no comp cook but I've done SRF and other Wagyu briskets. In my experience they cooked slightly faster but not significantly. I overcooked my first ever Wagyu but did fine on the rest. It sounds like it was undercooked. It needed to go on longer and sounds like you were probing into unrendered fats since Wagyu is super fatty and the fat is a lot more tender than a regular brisket. So it felt probe tender because it was hot enough but not quite ready. It needed to render out more fat and boy wagyu sure leak a ton of fat. You should've tossed it back in to finish or perhaps saved it to use it for something else.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Who ever started the "Wagyu cooks faster" might have had a point, but it has been so dilluted that all people do is hear "wagyu cooks faster" and just regurgitate it with zero context . I don't mean that in a bad way here, just using it to say..............don't believe it.

Not saying it isn't true perhaps under certain circumstances (which even then I don't know what they are), but I haven't found it to be true at all.

I cook them the same as other briskets. The only difference I really see and note for others that ask advice (which isn't often for me ) is a lot of times the burt ends can be fattier and possibly need additional cooking depending upon how you trim.

190 seems way to early to start checking. I do subscribe to higher cooking temps mean higher finishing temps so my checking temp might not be for everyone, but I don't even start looking at the brisket till it hits 204. It hasn't failed me or been overshot in the last 3yrs.

Simply sounds like it was undercooked.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #11
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I wont probe for tender until I see 207. and I tell you what, more often than not, my brisket still ends up on the tight side after the rest. I don't think I over cooked a single SRF this season. If I competed more often, Id bump that temp up even higher just to keep me from making a poor decision in probing
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

IMO w/out a pic is hard to say because probe tender is probe tender. Maybe it was a just poor cut of brisket, overly fatty with very little usable meat?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
jdubose983
Got rid of the matchlight.

This past weekend I cooked my first wagyu brisket anticipating a very long cook, and was shocked to have no stall whatsoever. Butcher paper wrap at 165 and was probe tender at 198. Cooked in less than ten hours at 250 and was a decent sized packer. Came out perfect!!! Was shocked at the speed it cooked. Was very nervous with it in cooler for 6 hours before meal but was incredible.
jdubose983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

If your used to probing Choice, an undercooked, much more marbled brisket can feel the same. Warm fat that hasn't rendered can feel like a well cooked CAB.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

I do not even look at any wagyu I cook until it is pushing 205. most seem to end up in the 207-213 area, although I never pull because of temperature. I always look at the temp when I am ready to pull just for a reference in my mind, and it helps satisfy a bit of my OCD.

The point goes at least another hour or longer depending on how heavy the marbling is.

They are a learning curve. One thing I stopped doing is cooking any back-up meats. If you have nothing to fall back on you will figure out how to do it right much faster.

Once you figure out Wagyu go buy an A9 and start learning again
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, fail, SRF