Spicewine temp control

Twisted Belly

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was running my spicewine small yesterday for the first time dry and with a iq 120. For the most part it held temp really well, but every now and then I would get a huge spike in temp. It would be 250, then I'd work on the food and slide the rack back in and the temp would spike to 310... door would only be open for 10-15 seconds, no fire or anything. My only thought was that when I pushed the rack back in, the probe went back a little further than before and that the heat was traveling straight up the side of the wall. And the fire was near the back half of the charcoal shelf.

Anyone else have this issue?

I moved the probe towards the front, and the temp read 250ish again. So Im hoping thats all that it was.

Last edited:
I wish I could help you out but I never have a problem with my Large Spicewine.
I will tell you that I always cook with water so that my be the difference.

The cookers were built to cook with water. Not only for heat management, but also acts a convection moving the air in the cooker. Cooking with out water could cause your cooker to catch fire. Excessive heat will damage the door seals and could warp the door. If you choose to cook without water as a few of my customers do; you do it at your own risk.

I understand the reason for water, and adding air will increase the fire. I was really just wondering about the placement of the probe, and if the back of the racks are hotter

Back