Keeping Cambro hot

P

PorkQPine

Any ideas about keeping Cambro's hot? I know they have a warm plate you can buy but was wondering what othere options there were out there. I know they keep hot food hot for a while, especially with dense meats like pork butts but chicken cools pretty quickly even in a Cambro as well as hot sides.

Don't know if this'll help or not, but way back when I was on a catering crew we'd warm up the Cambro's beforehand with really hot water & it seemed to work well. That was probably 20 years ago so there's probably a better way to do it now.

I will state the obvious - keeping the door closed as much as possible is key. The more meat, the hotter the box will get.

I agree, preheat with boiling water, only open the door when req'd, If you have a tray of beans in there, she'll stay hot for a long time..:wink: I believe there's an elect heat device out there but it's pricey..

I will state the obvious - keeping the door closed as much as possible is key. The more meat, the hotter the box will get.
I am not going to get this thread sent to Woodpile. :icon_shy

We have heated up a brick wrapped in tin foil to try and keep some heat in the unit but as above keeping the door shut and fully loaded keeps the hot better.

I have two large Cambros and actually regret not getting one of them smaller when holding smaller amounts. The thought was to go with the largest we could afford as there is never enough space and room for expanding larger orders. Wrong move this time around. :tsk:

I am not going to get this thread sent to Woodpile. :icon_shy

We have heated up a brick wrapped in tin foil to try and keep some heat in the unit but as above keeping the door shut and fully loaded keeps the hot better.

I have two large Cambros and actually regret not getting one of them smaller when holding smaller amounts. The thought was to go with the largest we could afford as there is never enough space and room for expanding larger orders. Wrong move this time around. :tsk:

Just a WAG, but I'm betting that if you got your hands on some insulation and cut it to fit a pan, and then wrapped it in plastic wrap to could place it above the uppermost pan of meat and reduce the volume of the cambro and retain the heat longer. I've never tried it, but it seems to make sense after my first cup of coffee this morning.

Edit: or, as I think about having a second cup.... place your food at the top of the cambro, and the insulation under the last pan of food. Since heat rises, the insulation should do an even better job if it's placed below the source of heat.

Ya know George I like the way your brain works in the morning. I pictured in my head the puffy fiberglass like stuff and what a mess it would be then I remembered they use the pink board stuff at work to line boxes with, a stack/ block of those cut to fit and covered with plastic wrap should do the trick. :cool:

How about one simply cut to fit one of the shelves dividing the Cambro ? That way the potential metal from using a pan to hold the insulation wouldn't 'eat up' the heat.

rigid-extruded-polystyrene-insulation-panel-139463.jpg

Preheat with hot water.. toss an old (clean) blanket in if its not full. we dont even use the cambros, just coolers, and that works. also, most of the cambros holders have a fill cap on the door/lid. thats meant for hot water. try that if possible. in the restaurant we'd keep food hot in on of the 4 full pans versions for up to 8 hours. temp in the 170's going in..and came out in the upper 160's. oh..didn't open the door to check until the food was needed. {Gotta love late parties}

I'll have the insulation next week and report beck.

I would start out by rubbing its belly and whispering sweet rubs into its ear.

NUTZ

Back