MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Question Wet or Dry?

So looking around some of these threads it seems that most people are smoking dry. I have a WSM that I got last summer. Before that I was smoking on my propane grill that I riged with water pans and chips. I had great success with that and made some killer food on it but wanted to be more traditional. With that said I went and bought the WSM,and kept things the same, and filled the water pan in it for my smokes. Now after not using it for a few months (way to busy with work school and work) Im getting ready to start up again and this Friday will be my first smoke of the summer (pastrami). So after all that the million dollar question, should I use water, keep it dry, or is it a preferrance?

PS excuse the spelling, I can't seem to get my spell check to function on my tablet...
northernrescue3321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

I just foil the water pan, with no water.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernrescue3321 View Post
So looking around some of these threads it seems that most people are smoking dry. I have a WSM that I got last summer. Before that I was smoking on my propane grill that I riged with water pans and chips. I had great success with that and made some killer food on it but wanted to be more traditional. With that said I went and bought the WSM,and kept things the same, and filled the water pan in it for my smokes. Now after not using it for a few months (way to busy with work school and work) Im getting ready to start up again and this Friday will be my first smoke of the summer (pastrami). So after all that the million dollar question, should I use water, keep it dry, or is it a preferrance?

PS excuse the spelling, I can't seem to get my spell check to function on my tablet...
Once Aaron Franklin was asked what the perfect conditions were for BBQ cooking and he said, "a warm, humid day with no wind". And then he went on to say that if it's not humid he adds water to his cook. His pits have huge water holding capacities and he uses a water pan in his offset at home as well.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

You will not get one "right" answer to this often asked question.

I line my water pan with foil, and fill with water. I like my fat drippings to fall into water, not onto a hot metal surface.

Other people will say there are "better/best" ways to use a WSM, but my way works for me.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I just foil the water pan, with no water.
^^^that. easier set up, easier clean up, easier to get higher temps if you want, and the food will be just as good.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

My vote H2O
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I hate dealing with greasy water so I run my WSM dry (Foiled pan for cleanup). I've used water and I can't tell the difference in the food.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

I think it depends on your climate. Around here in summer time, my first one hundred degrees are free. I find the water helps me hold a steady temp. Now during wind and cold weather no water seems to work better.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
greazyg
Got Wood.

I've always used water in mine, until Memorial Day when I just said what the heck and ran it dry. I didnt really notice a difference in the meat, but I was astonished at how much less charcoal I used. More than likely I'll stick to dry from here on out.
greazyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Did anyone notice that the barks came out better when going dry vs wet. For me while I have been happy with my overall results, the one issue I can't seem to get around is my bark is always a little softer than Id like

Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Bludawg

The only moisture I add is to the pitmaster in the form a of Beer applied liberally. If your roasting a Weenie on a stick over a camp fire do you put a cup of water between it and the coals or do you grasp a cold beer in your free hand??? HMmmm

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
The only moisture I add is to the pitmaster in the form a of Beer applied liberally. If your roasting a Weenie on a stick over a camp fire do you put a cup of water between it and the coals or do you grasp a cold beer in your free hand??? HMmmm
That is very, very true! LOL

Old 06-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I hate dealing with greasy water so I run my WSM dry (Foiled pan for cleanup). I've used water and I can't tell the difference in the food.
What Ron said. In winter here, the water just eats fuel and slows the cook. In summer, its normally humid as hell, and I've done with and without water in my WSM's and the only difference is with water, I have a mess to clean and it takes longer, and uses more fuel!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
IrondeQuer
On the road to being a farker

I recently acquired an 18.5" WSM and found a 16-inch clay saucer which I'm going to use in place of the water pan this weekend for a butt. I really hate the shape of the bowl on the 18.5. I suppose I can always put an aluminum pan on top if needed.
IrondeQuer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
NYCQ
Got Wood.

I've found using water was better than dry, my food comes out better
NYCQ is offline   Reply With Quote