HDD wings and watermelon for lunch

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Barely scratching 80* for the high today, really nice day, so I thawed some wings for lunch to take advantage of the nice weather. Hit the wings with a healthy dose of Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust and let them sweat in the fridge for about 45 minutes, then onto the 475* Vortex equipped Weber Kettle until the skin was bubbly and the color was right. I added a chunk of cherry wood directly over the Vortex for a hit of smoke and about 40 minutes later they were done. We recently got some really great watermelon and it ended up being a perfect compliment to the heat of the wings. Pretty good late summer meal if you ask me :thumb:

Attachments

• hdd wings 3.jpg
    hdd wings 3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 216
  • hdd wings 2.jpg
    hdd wings 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 216
  • hdd wings 1.jpg
    hdd wings 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 215
I could go for a bunch of them wings right about now. Hard to beat the Weber Vortex combo for making great wings.

Perfection!!! But where’s the watermelon??
Love the HDD and Crucible from Oakridge.

Looks great. So how hot is the HDD?

Depends how much you use, its balanced well but the heat accumulates as you continue eating. It's less hot than eating raw habanero pepper, if that helps.

Perfection!!! But where’s the watermelon??
Love the HDD and Crucible from Oakridge.

I already had dirty HDD fingers by the time I was given the watermelon so I spared my phone the sticky picture takin' mess.

Man, those wings look farking fantastic!! It's been way too long since I've done these, and I make the stuff!!!!! LOL!

I have a Vortex but haven't used it yet. Do you always have to use a full load of charcoal? I hate to waste charcoal.

You could get by with less, to a point. Too little and it may be hard to maintain higher temps if that's what you're after.

Great looking wings! :thumb:

When I viewed the thread title, I was hoping I wasn't going to see a smoked watermelon. :razz:

Back