Harbowl Wings

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Marinated for 36 hours, 1/2 in Franks 1/2 in a ginger-teriyaki concoction. Seared them over hot hickory coals for a couple minutes then smoked to 165* temp on the indirect side, about 45 minutes. Served with hot sauce (1/2 Franks & 1/2 butter) and an asian sauce (1/4 Franks, 1/4 butter 1/2 teriyaki & lots of fresh ginger & garlic).
033_zps0bd6ca8e.jpg
[/IMG]
034_zpseec7362b.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Very nice.

I'm going to try searing first next time. It seems like when I try to get the sear afterwards that I char a lot of the skin. I imagine it would be more controlled with wings that hadn't started rendering so much.

Those look mighty fine dw! I'd hit those hard!

Nice Wings!

All these wing posts are killing me. I can wait 'til my next day off work to smoke some wings. Nice looking eats ya got there!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks to all. This was my inaugural cook on the part of my rig I intended for direct grilling, but it worked pretty good in indirect mode too for things like wings that cook pretty quick and I don't want to fire up the 24"X60" smoker. It's just some 1/4" plate steel and three 13"X18" cast iron grates I got online somewhere. Here are a couple of wide angle shots of the rig.
001_zps6ce9c2d4.jpg
[/IMG]
011_zps80ea4f82.jpg
[/IMG]

Those look great. I have a question. I mihed some Franks original with butter before and the sauce seemed a little greasy. You guys ever experience that?

kds9547; My first time grillin & smokin wings but the 1/2 Franks & 1/2 butter has been the standard I used when frying wings. I wisk the tar out of it while on the stove and hot and it seems to create a "Franks emulsion" and we use it immediately. I did notice while cleaning up (during the blackout) the butter had separated from the Franks as it cooled.

Back