MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Unofficial Pie Recipe Thread

I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to have a pie recipe thread here. It might be a good idea to do one recipe per post so it'll be easier to dig through.

I'll start - here's a Lemon Icebox Pie recipe that I got from my aunt. If I were eating a last meal, this would absolutely be my dessert - no question.

Lemon Icebox Pie

Get a box of Graham Crackers and smash 'em up, or (better) get a box of the already smashed up Graham Crackers.

Mix crumbs with 6 TB sugar

Mix all that with 3 sticks melted butter.

Press that into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

Brown it off in the oven - I do it at 450 - it takes around 7 minutes I think.

While it's in the oven, mix 2 cans of condensed milk with 7.5 oz. lemon juice (I always use those frozen Minute Maid ones - thawed of course).

Let the crust firm up a little, then pour the condensed milk/lemon mixture over the still hot crust. Let it cool a little. Stick it in the fridge and let it get cold. Eat.

Alright y'all - let's see those pie recipes!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
gtr

Default Pecan Pie

This is from my wife's Great-Grandmother, and this pie is what got me to thinking I should settle down way back when.

Pecan Pie

preheat oven to 375

4 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 stick butter (room temp)
2 tsp. vanilla
1.5 cups chopped pecans

1 deep dish pie crust - we do a pate brisee recipe:

1 1/4 C all purpose flour
3/4 stick unsalted butter - cold & cut into bits
2 TB cold vegetable shortening
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 TB cold water + more if necessary

blend flour, butter, shortening & salt until mixture resembles meal, add 2TB cold water, toss until water is incorporated, add add'l water if needed to form a dough - too much water makes dough tough so be careful. Make a ball with the dough, dust with flour, chill in wax paper for an hour. Roll it out, put in a deep pie dish.

mix the filling together - it's easiest if pecans go in last.

fill pie shell and bake until center is firmly set - at least 35 minutes, probably much more.

You can definitely use a premade or store bought crust in a pinch.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Half 4 small pumpkins, bake (not boil!) at 300 until fork tender. Scrape out of skin, throw it in a food processor. Mix with a few eggs, and a can or two of sweet condensed milk, or evap milk. Add random seasonings to it to taste (i dont measure things i just add till i think its right). You're end product should end up very soupy. Like a thin shake. Use a deep or non deep pie crust (i just buy mine, its not worth making it unless you have a special recipe, IMO) Fill it to near the edge, enjoy. Makes two large pies, with enough extra for: add a cup to a cheese cake recipe for pumpkin cheese cake, and/or add it to bisquick then only add milk (no eggs there are already eggs in the pumpkin) till pancake consistency for pumpkin pancakes. For some reason i dont have finished product pics. Found it, nevermind.

Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Snack pie

Chocolate Chip cookie dough crust,Oreos,Reese's Peanut Butter Cups,Fudge Brownie mix.This came from Mainegg over on the Original BGE forum.She called it a TRIPLE THREAT.I added the RPBC's so I guess it is a Quad TREAT! I cooked at 325 til set.Next time I may go 300 for a little longer.The cookie crust was borderline overdone.Not bad,just a touch.

Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
caseydog

Do the pies have to be sweet? I very rarely eat deserts. But, I do love me some savory pies -- yes, I even like quiche.

I'd love to see some good savory pie recipes in here, too, if gtr is okay with that.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Do the pies have to be sweet? I very rarely eat deserts. But, I do love me some savory pies -- yes, I even like quiche.

I'd love to see some good savory pie recipes in here, too, if gtr is okay with that.

CD
Put 'em up! Frito pies, BBQ pies, bean pies, whatever pies - PIES BABY! BRING 'EM ALL!

And I don't care what anybody says - I will fark up some quiche!
WTFWGALD?

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks to GTR for the Lemon Icebox Pie recipe, and for starting this thread.

I walked my 10 year old daughter through this recipe, and the results were grand! However, crushing an entire box of Graham Crackers was a pita.

Here it is:

Almost used the weber in 22 degree weather to chill the pie, but it was on lasagna duty.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
gtr

^^^Yup, smashing the crackers is a real PITA. I used to put 'em in a ziploc and go after it with a rolling pin and it was still a PITA. I just buy the stuff that's already crumbs these days - it appeals to the lazy bastige in me (actually there's no part of me that isn't lazy bastige). I guess you could use a food processor, but we never had one until recently so that's just a guess on my part.

Glad y'all liked it, and really glad to hear you're cooking with your young 'un - that's good stuff right there!
WTFWGALD?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

I like where this is going!!!!!!!
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

gtr, lemon icebox pie is a favorite of my hunting partner. Thinking will have to try your recipe & fix him one as a belated birthday present.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #11
Skidder
Babbling Farker

As many of you know I'm not one for people posting non bbq on a bbq thread but I too like where this could lead. After all there's something missing when you just chowed down a big ole plate of bbq and your looking for that sweet ending with maybe a cup of joe and it's not there. So here's my favorite "non bbq" pie post. Hardest thing about this is washing the blender. Plus there are so many variations you could make.
http://www.justapinch.com/recipe/rob...rd+pie+1.19.12
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

How about an old Throwdown entry? I made a gluten free pie reminiscent of pulled pork and coleslaw sandwiches. It was soooo good. Too bad I was still using my old camera, the new one would have done it justice. This savoury pie is smoked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Please accept this official entry into the "Pulled" TD titled "Pulled Pork and Coleslaw Pie"

Whole pork shoulder below -- 9 kg so about 19#.

The first rub was leftover rib rub I made up (in fridge photot), the second layer was made from the ingredients in the other photo. I really liked the flavour of celery seed in the finished pulled pork.

Got to work on the slaw. Used Guerry's dressing recipe 'cept the hot sauce 'cause my other half is a wuss. Used a technique from Learning Querve that used salt and time sitting to pull water out of the vegetables. Especially important I thought for using in a pie.

Look at this shoulder after 14 hours! About a quarter of the coal was mesquite, tasted great.

The afternoon snow made me crave something hot and delicious. Then again, I was out tending the smoker as usual in my bare feet, etc.. This drink was absolutely delicious and went down fast leaving a fuzzy warmth. Normally I have the utmost respect for single malt scotch but I quite disliked this one --the Rolo picked it right up!

Now to make a gluten free pie crust for two pies.

In the food processor.

Put the dough balls in the fridge and got the shoulder out to start pulling.

Got some help from my canine son who was well rewarded throughout the pull.

Took a picture outside in the rain because I wanted a good chance to get true colours for the pull. The smoke ring was so red and beautiful. Too bad they didn't turn out truer.

PLEASE USE THE PHOTO BELOW FOR VOTING.

Pulling took quite a while and my dough balls had to warm up a bit before they would budge.

Making a version of Guerry's slaw dressing -- with less sugar for this savoury pie and of course no hot sauce.

Pies with a layer of pulled pork in the bottom.

Now a layer of coleslaw!

Made a silicone ring from a baking mat to protect pie edges but it wasn't needed this time.

Here's dinner.

I have to say this pie was absolutely delicious! I plan to make many more. When I get better at it I'll post a new pie cook in Qtalk with the gluten free pastry recipe. I encourage anyone who loves meat pies like I do and who loves slaw on a pulled pork sammy to try making a pie, it's fantastic. The cabbage gives it amazing flavour and the tangy slaw dressing worked well with the pork seasonings. The mesquite flavour was lovely, too.

Thanks for looking.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

I see I didn't write it in the thread or post a picture but the whole pie was smoked in my kamado, not just the pulled pork.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
gtr

Love that!
WTFWGALD?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Although I have this in a separate thread, this is a much better place for it. My Pot Pies. It is a PDF attachment. The photo is my Steak Pot Pie.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove

Last edited by Bluesman; 07-11-2022 at 02:30 AM..
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote