Brisket chili recipes???

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK, so I've got a 16.5 pound brikset on the smoke right now. When it's done I plan to slice the flat for the family tonight and save the point to make chili out of on Sunday for gameday. I've done a search and haven't seen a lot of recipes, so I thought I'd post a thread to ask........

What's your favorite brisket chili recipe?

I had planned on just doing my favorite chili recipe and using brisket instead of ground beef, but......?

I made the MOFO Brisket chili that is in the Brethern Recipe link, turned out super super good. Everyone loved it, give that one a try.

2 lbs of smoked brisket chopped
1 lb of chorizo fried
1 large onion chopped
1 large green pepper chopped
2 cans of medium chili beans and 1 can of kidney beans (drained)
1 can of diced tomatos (drained)
1 12oz can of your favorite beer
salt to taste

Simple yet gooood. No need for chili powder. The chorizo will give you all the spice you need.

Dave

The MOFO Brisket Chili recipe is a good one. So it Saiko's Killer Chili.

Also, you can take any chili recipe and substitute brisket for the meat.

The beanless Bash chili that Nthole makes is killer. My daughter likes it better than mine.:redface:

I'll give some advice that I've learned versus a recipe as there are many personal preferences to chili.

I always use left over smoked brisket or chuck that I've removed the fat from for the meat in chili. I put it in in the last 30 to 45 minutes or so of cooking. This gives a really nice depth of flavor to the over all dish. Another thing I do is "bloom" a little dried chili powder (I like Ancho), granulated garlic and cumin with the onions and peppers before I add the tomatos and other liquid.

I also rehydrate dried chili's in simmering water for about an hour before I start making the chili. I use this in place of chili powder. I usually use ancho's or chipolte's depending on how hot I want it. After they are reconstituted, I put them and a little of the broth in a blender and make a puree out of it. But keep the broth to add to the chili later. Then, I saute' the onions and peppers in a good butter versus oil. As the peppers and onions start to soften I'll put in some of the puree'd chili to cook along with it for a few minutes. Then I add the tomatoes and what ever else you want in the chille (I like beans in mine, I'll admit it:icon_blush:) . In regards to the tomatos, I use Hunt's fire roasted.

After the chille has simmered a bit I add more of the puree and remaining broth as I need for heat and seasoning. Then, once that is the balance I'm looking for I add the meat to get the smoky flavor in the dish.

Hope this helps a bit!!!

I'll give some advice that I've learned versus a recipe as there are many personal preferences to chili.

I always use left over smoked brisket or chuck that I've removed the fat from for the meat in chili. I put it in in the last 30 to 45 minutes or so of cooking. This gives a really nice depth of flavor to the over all dish. Another thing I do is "bloom" a little dried chili powder (I like Ancho), granulated garlic and cumin with the onions and peppers before I add the tomatos and other liquid.

I also rehydrate dried chili's in simmering water for about an hour before I start making the chili. I use this in place of chili powder. I usually use ancho's or chipolte's depending on how hot I want it. After they are reconstituted, I put them and a little of the broth in a blender and make a puree out of it. But keep the broth to add to the chili later. Then, I saute' the onions and peppers in a good butter versus oil. As the peppers and onions start to soften I'll put in some of the puree'd chili to cook along with it for a few minutes. Then I add the tomatoes and what ever else you want in the chille (I like beans in mine, I'll admit it:icon_blush:) . In regards to the tomatos, I use Hunt's fire roasted.

After the chille has simmered a bit I add more of the puree and remaining broth as I need for heat and seasoning. Then, once that is the balance I'm looking for I add the meat to get the smoky flavor in the dish.

Hope this helps a bit!!!

So, wait......you add the brisket at the END?
I planned on chopping/small cubing the point meat and throwing it in the pot at the beginning. I understand about sauteing the veg before hand with the spices, but is there something about putting the meat in the chili at the beginning that is NOT good? I just figured that the meat/smoke flavor would cook into the pot if given the whole cook time?

Well, the reason I do it toward the end is so the pieces don't fall apart and become shredded beef chili. I like the chew of the chunks. You could probably add them sooner, depending on how long you simmer your chili? But I've never had a problem getting plenty of smoke flavor in the chili. But that is also due to using smoked, reconstituted dried chiles like the anch for the puree'.

GOTCHA!

That makes sense. Since I'm going to add the already smoked brisket, I think I'll cook up some bacon and use the drippings to saute the onion and garlic. My standard recipe also calls for red & green bell pepper and jalepeno, so I'll do those in with the onion/garlic too. I haven't before, but it makes sense to add the spices to the saute'd veg so the spices will, as you say, "bloom".

THANKS!

Wampus, my friend,
It's too late for this batch, but do yourself a favor and order some of the chili seasonings from redlionspicyfoods.com (Chipper above has a link to recipes for ya). I used a couple of their seasonings in a contest and won both categories.

Unfortunately, I can't give ya a recipe as I don't remember. Sorry.

I did use brisket and bacon in one of them...

Enjoy...

Happy New Year and Celebration of the Circumcision and Naming of Christ Jesus.

Bacon grease is always a good thing!!! I always keep a small bowl of it in the freezer for such occasions!!!

Wampus, my friend,
It's too late for this batch, but do yourself a favor and order some of the chili seasonings from redlionspicyfoods.com (Chipper above has a link to recipes for ya). I used a couple of their seasonings in a contest and won both categories.

Unfortunately, I can't give ya a recipe as I don't remember. Sorry.

I did use brisket and bacon in one of them...

Enjoy...

Happy New Year and Celebration of the Circumcision and Naming of Christ Jesus.

Oh Dan......do you think me unprepared? I happen to have a shaker of Red Lion's "Competition Blend Best Batch Chili Mix" in my spice cupboard!:becky::wink::clap2:

As I recall, I got it from by being "Johnny on the spot" as he offered free shakers one day long ago. I use it for any recipe that calls for chili powder. I use the "standard" chili powder for my rub.

Good thinkin' though!

I'm late for this one, but:

This is a situation where I would keep my current recipie and simply replace the origonal meat with the brisket.
That way, I would have a "baseline" for the difference.
If I change a bunch of things, I never know if it was better or not or why. :redface:

Mrs Kapn adds 1/2 the Brisket at the beginning and lets it cook down for flavor.
She adds the second 1/2 near the end for texture.
WONDERMUSS!!!!!!!!!!:-D

Enjoy.

TIM

Would be fun to have a group of guys together to try each idea in this thread side by side to see how they shake out.

I made some brisket chili at the contest this weekend. It didn't last long enough for pics.

Back