MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
ImpliedConsent
Found some matches.

Question Retired my vertical...now Char-Griller Smokin' Pro

I'm the guy who lurks the forums, forgets his password, says "Oh well" and continues to lurk...but now...
My old Coleman (I think it's a Coleman, forgot... can't read the tag anymore) vertical just been broken in after only using it for 20yrs. My wife decided enough was enough of the ugly smelly thing and got me a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro with the horizontal side fire box for F-Day. I'm fairly intimidated by the SFB concept (Fathers day was June 20th).
Tomorrow's the big day to test with 2 x 10lb shoulders. I've already lovingly bacon grease seasoned it and stared at it for a couple of weeks.
  • Question: I've read about all the potential mods for the Smokin' Pro, will this thing be good to go for tomorrows "event" without the mods?
  • Will this smoker be overwhelmed with 2 x 10lb'rs? (803sq in.)?
  • Any suggestions, tips, 'whatch-outs'?
Hate to be the new guy all over again, but dang...
ImpliedConsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

First off don't use or trust the thermo on the lid! It is way off! I put a probe in a potato at grate level. The smoker will for sure be able to handle your pork butts no problem. You can even put a few racks of ribs on the "warming rack" above the butts. You will want to have plenty of fuel available! I usually run a mixture of lump and Kingsford with either wood chips/chunks.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
ImpliedConsent
Found some matches.

Thank you sir for the reply. Good tip on lotsa chunks. One more question:
  • With my vertical, I always used a water pan under the meat grate. What about this thing? Does it need a water pan or any water source at all?
...I think that's it...

Old 07-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

I use a water pan when I am smoking pork or beef. Never with chicken. I put the pan closest to the fire box in the main chamber.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
wickedbbq'r
Full Fledged Farker

Without going crazy with mods, here are a couple of simple things I would do. When you close your lid you will notice gaps between the top and bottom. So, I lay strips of foil around the edges so when you close the lid you get a better seal. Another good thing to do is flip over the coal grate in the SFB so you get more air under the fire. A water pan in the main chamber next to the SFB is also a great idea. Make sure to have plenty of charcoal to feed this beast. He gets very hungry when he is working. Hope this helps, Good Luck!
Meadow Creek TS120P
1-22" WSM
1-22" Weber Performer
wickedbbq'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

and don't forget the pron!
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbbq'r View Post
Without going crazy with mods, here are a couple of simple things I would do. When you close your lid you will notice gaps between the top and bottom. So, I lay strips of foil around the edges so when you close the lid you get a better seal. Another good thing to do is flip over the coal grate in the SFB so you get more air under the fire. A water pan in the main chamber next to the SFB is also a great idea. Make sure to have plenty of charcoal to feed this beast. He gets very hungry when he is working. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

Congratulation on having a wife that supports your bbq habit! The mods above are good starter mods and yes, make sure you have plenty of fuel before any lengthy cook like butts. I prefer to use straight lump to prevent the fire from being choked by the ash briquettes leave behind. My first mod was to add a charcoal basket to the SFB which creates airflow around the burning coals and gives you the ability to remove any ash that may form mid-cook. Also if not turning the coal grate over, try a cookie sheet over the openning between the smoker and the sfb. I had one that fit just right and wedged it in...took me 30 seconds and makes a great baffle. Check with the wife on that one first.

Good luck in your future cooks and welcome to the CG club.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
ImpliedConsent
Found some matches.

Awesome guys. The flip on the coal grate was easy, the cookie sheet was another thing. I think I've had it about 30min before I read the posts again ... you know ... the "check with the wife" thing. I missed that, so here I sit, outside next to the dog-house and smoker with my laptop. I found the (attached) mods. These look fun over time.

Thanks for y'alls help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CharGrilleMods.pdf (1.24 MB, 48 views)

Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Jbomb
On the road to being a farker

I deffinatly would make a mod to the side box concerning the grate for coals. There is a ledge already there and I cut an old grate to fit it to lift the coals up. Gets way better air flow pluss then you can dump the ash with the orginal slide out piece. As for the thermometer that comes with it I would deff check it with another gage at grate level. Mine seems to work pretty accurate but I have read others are terrible. Pluss it is higher than grate level as stated above. I have wonderful results with mine but it is alot of work compared to other smokers so be prepared. I don't have one but a coal basket might be woth checking into from what I have noticed on the board. I would also get a bunch of lump and have found its nice to seperate the sizes although it can be a little bit of a extra chore but woth it. Good luck to you.
Jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Get Pics!!! Document everything. Not for us, for you. The pics are fun to look back on and remember when. Oh, you'll be gettin another smoker in another 10 years.

Great little smoker you got there !!!! Have fun with it and send samples!!!!
STICK BURNERS RULE!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
ImpliedConsent
Found some matches.

This had better last longer than Old Stinky (R.I.P. old buddy).

Here are some within the last few minutes...

Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

It will cook just fine as is, takes lots of tending but turns out some good food!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Butts are lookin' good...you'll have her dialed in in no time!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

butts are looking good, I just put 14 lbs on my UDS for tomorrow evening bbq birthday party (mine). With a UDS, 30 isn't looking so bad after all. Smoke on brother.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
ImpliedConsent
Found some matches.

Well, with y'all's help, I believe I've dialed this thing in correctly. I've done 12 x 10# butts and just did my first set of chicken. All is good. QUESTION: Is there a "neighbor" pestacide I can use? XD