foolproof brisket packers in UDS --> sorry no pictures

B

brunski

Hi brethren,
I just finished an epic weekend cooking over 70 pounds of brisket for a little party. I cooked 2 15# briskets at a time starting thursday night and finished the whole process by saturday afternoon with couple of hours in between. The reason i did 2 briskets at a time was because i had no prior experience cooking them in the UDS - this was my first time doing it. All i can say is, it was an awesome experience and i learned a lot. The meat was tasty and my friends at the party loved it. Although i didnt take the pictures, i'll describe the process, just bear with me:

Meat prep:
1. Rub kosher salt on the meat, be genereous as the salt has to get into the meat, then refrigerate for at least 18 to 24 hours with the fat cap at the bottom. You dont need to salt the fat cap.

2. Prep your UDS - my process to get it to optimal temp is:
  • open 3 intakes
  • light up your charcoal
  • at 150* close one intake
  • at 200* close 2nd intake
  • at 225* close 1/2 of the 3rd --> at this point your smoker will cruise at 225 or lower (obviously depending of your type of charcoal, etc. - i use Royal Oak from Wally World)
3. Take your meat out of the fridge, rinse it and pat dry

4. Rub salt (yes, again) and crushed black pepper all over your meat, no need to do the fat cap)

5. Throw it on your UDS' top rack with the fat cap on top, this will ensure your meat to be nice and moist

6. At 160* internal temperature wrap it in aluminum foil and wait until is 200* -those are the only 2 times where you will open your UDS, unless you cooking something else

7. wait for an hour or so and cut

I followed this process for all those briskets and i got lots of compliments as the meat was tender and moist, but most of all was very flavorfull.

it takes roughly about 12 hours to cook it, but it's worth it.

---
I was afraid to do the 4 packs at once, but i think the UDS can handle it. I know, based on this experience, I'll cook it all together.

Hope this helps anyone who's experimenting

That sounds like a plan - but why not season the fat cap? As it melts and the fat runs down into the meat, it could carry whatever seasonings you had imbued it with during the 18 to 24 hours in the fridge.

Thanks for the details!

Try to remember...

Attachments

• worthless_thread_without_pics.gif
    worthless_thread_without_pics.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 129
ok ok -point taken!!
here is ONE of the briskets:
5150020934_795afb2dfe_b.jpg

and here are some of them together:
5150021522_9e41e47bf1_b.jpg

That sounds like a plan - but why not season the fat cap? As it melts and the fat runs down into the meat, it could carry whatever seasonings you had imbued it with during the 18 to 24 hours in the fridge.

Thanks for the details!

Thanks!! this is something i've always done that way (from my oven only days), i've never seen the need to season the fat cap, that's how my mom taught me :p.
I guess you could always try something new -i'll try your suggestion next time i cook either a brisky or a pork shoulder picnic

From the pictures the briskets look kind of dry to me. imho

I know, it looks, but it wasn't - My wife is a professional chef and she absolutely loves it - also, we served it to about 100 people (we had more trays), i got a lot of compliments and got couple of gigs lined up because of my 'dry brisket' :becky:.
But thanks anyway, it's just a bad picture i guess

Back