Mustard based sauce

siudog1

Reaction score
I picked up a couple different bottles of mustard based sauce while visiting South Carolina. I found the mustard taste to be VERY overpowering in both brands. Is this typical of a mustard based sauce?

I cooked some on my ribs and it tasted great but could not imagine putting it on the ribs after taking them off the smoker. Maybe it is just my taste.

How is mustard sauce normally used?

I picked up a couple different bottles of mustard based sauce while visiting South Carolina. I found the mustard taste to be VERY overpowering in both brands. Is this typical of a mustard based sauce?

I cooked some on my ribs and it tasted great but could not imagine putting it on the ribs after taking them off the smoker. Maybe it is just my taste.

How is mustard sauce normally used?

I've always found the carolina mustard sauce to be really potent as that's the base and I love it as a side sauce for some good pulled pork. It's good with pulled chicken as well.

If I have to have sauce on my ribs, I normally go with a good tangy tomato sauce.

I agree with Smokin Ron. Mustard based sauce is great, but should be used differently than tomato or vinegar based. It doesn't take much. I like to have a bit in a small bowl off to my side when I'm "pulling". It makes for a great dip for those extra special chunks of bark which the cook deserves all for him or herself.

Thanks for the responses. I prefer the a nice tangy tomato based sauce myself. I was experimenting a wanted to make sure I was using it properly. I will try your suggestions. Now I have another excuse to go get another pork butt:)

I tend to like a sweet and spicy mustard sauce, but it should have a pronounced mustard flavor. One commercial brand I liked was Sticky Fingers. It's more sweet than spicy, but does the trick. There's a recent thread here in Q-Talk about Mustard Sauce recipes, with the first couple recipes mentioned being my faves.

I like my mustard sauce sweet so I always use brown sugar in mine I havent tried it on ribs before just pulled pork

I agree with Smokin Ron. Mustard based sauce is great, but should be used differently than tomato or vinegar based. It doesn't take much. I like to have a bit in a small bowl off to my side when I'm "pulling". It makes for a great dip for those extra special chunks of bark which the cook deserves all for him or herself.

Right on, My mouth just watered thinking about it...8)

Back