MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #646
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckHunter83 View Post
Ever since reading this thread I have been searching craigslist trying to find a 22.5 inch Kettle and I was going to pick one up this evening for $15, but then this green beauty showed up for free! It is a rescue from one of my tenants that moved out and left it behind for me. I have never grilled on a charcoal grill before except for the UDS I built so i'm sure there will be a learning curve. The grill is in pretty good condition and looks like it just needs to be cleaned up a little. It has an EZ stamp which I think is a 1998.

Welcome to the kettle frat! I too have an EZ green kettle. It is a master touch which is the forerunner of the modern gold. It has a therm. in the handle and the lid holder like the performer. I love mine! I received it new for a wedding gift but had to wait a year to move out of an apartment before I could use it. It was a long year! I clean it thoroughly each season and have replaced the grates once. That is all the maintenance it has needed for 12+ years of service! I have cooked thousands of meals on it and especially have enjoyed it on medium heat indirect smokes of 2-4 hours.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #647
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Selle View Post
Nice Score Brian, I just scored a 22.5-inch red Weber kettle in mint condition... Can anyone date the "BAR-B-Q KETTLE" stamp on this one?
Sorry bro, all you know about the date if there is no stamp is that it's pre 1979... I even asked weber a couple of months ago and the person I talked to said that there really wasnt any way to tell...

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #648
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

hey knucklhead, I went to their facebook page and the guy monitoring that said it was likely made between 1960-1974 because it was manufactured in Arlington Heights Ill.
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle
*Yellow splash-proof Thermapen
*Member of PNWBA/KCBS/West Slope BBQ Association
Jeff Selle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #649
BuckHunter83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Welcome to the kettle frat! I too have an EZ green kettle. It is a master touch which is the forerunner of the modern gold. It has a therm. in the handle and the lid holder like the performer. I love mine! I received it new for a wedding gift but had to wait a year to move out of an apartment before I could use it. It was a long year! I clean it thoroughly each season and have replaced the grates once. That is all the maintenance it has needed for 12+ years of service! I have cooked thousands of meals on it and especially have enjoyed it on medium heat indirect smokes of 2-4 hours.
Thanks, I'll bet that was a long year! I only had mine for one day before I had to try my hand at cooking on it. I cooked up two t-bones and a pack of hot dogs for the family and I. This was my first cook ever on a charcoal grill and it went pretty good but I still have a lot to learn. I used a full chimney worth of charcoal and laid a few more briquettes on the charcoal grate to make a bed of charcoal. I think I should of just used the one chimney full and I should of spread it out more evenly across the bottom and let it burn down a little more to settle down before putting the meat on.

Overall it was a success but I need more practice to fine tune my technique.
BuckHunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #650
Jeff Selle
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Buckhunter, try offset grilling... pile a full chimney of coals on one side of the charcoal grate and put the meat grate back on and cook your steak on the cooler side of the grill until you get them almost done and then toss them over the coals to get a little sear before pulling them off to rest...
*1993 & 1998 Weber Performers
*Grill Dome Kamado smoker 18-inch
*El Cheapo offset smoker (CharBroil)
*4X8-foot trailered Santa Maria Grill
*Coveting a Weber Ranch Kettle
*Yellow splash-proof Thermapen
*Member of PNWBA/KCBS/West Slope BBQ Association
Jeff Selle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #651
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Thinned the herd! Hoarders got to me!

Over the past month I've gotten rid of:

2 Weber 1000 gas grills
1 Genesis Silver A
1 Black Performer
3 Green 22"
1 Blue 22"
6 Red 22"
4 Black 22"
1 Gray 22"
1 SJP
1 SJS
2 Weber Redneck Firepits

Thats it! I quit! No mas!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #652
H2OFowl
Got Wood.

Default Joined the nut house!

My CL purchase yesterday is a score in my mind! A 22 1/2 inch, 1997 (EI) black Weber One Touch - Silver.

Good to great condition. Maybe replace the charcoal grate some day. Scrubbed the cooking grate till it shined! Replaced the black leg cap.

Wood handles need some tlc. Small touch-up where the handle meets the lid. (surface only)

Thrilled!
2015 UDS (#2),1997-Weber Silver,Smokey Joe,Mini WSM,Genesis NG,OJ Highland,IQue 110
H2OFowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #653
Chris_R
On the road to being a farker

Well, I'm down one Weber. I gave the 22.5 OTG I picked up off CL a few months back to my brother as a house warming gift after he bought his new place.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #654
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

This month I've purchased a new bottom kit (legs, wheels, etc) for my old 17yr old 22 Silver, and I purchased a new grate for my 10yr old 22 Silver. This weekend our crappy el-cheapo gasser gave up the ghost, so yesterday I ordered a green Weber Genesis E-310. Tough to beat Weber quality, IMHO.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #655
leinielover
Found some matches.

so, I am having dinner tonight at the Weber Grill in Schaumburg, and as always, its fantastic... pork tenderloin with a rosemary somethin' or other... and when I walk out there is a RED 22.5 kettle in the waiting area with a DO (2005) date stamp. What gives. I thought they quit making red heads in 1997. Has gray plastic handles... And it's been cooked on... the base of the lid has that discoloration the red get when it gets hot.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #656
cbpeck
Full Fledged Farker

It's anybody's guess...

I suppose that Weber could've custom made it for the restaurant. Any chance that the vent & handles were replacement parts on an older kettle?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #657
leinielover
Found some matches.

Suppose it's possible. The handles weren't MINT... At first I thought it was a red Master's Touch. Then I realized no thermo in the lid and gray plastic handles, has the ash catcher pan, like a Gold...

Guess I may have to go back tonight and take a picture... maybe eat at the same time.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #658
Camille Eonich
Full Fledged Farker

My first grill was a Weber, as was my second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth. I still have the fourth, fifth and sixth one but on one of them one of the bottom dampers has come off and the others are stuck open, one has a bent lid (it got blown off the deck in very high winds) and the sixth one is brand new since buying a lid cost almost as much as a whole new grill. We don't leave it on the deck anymore when we aren't there (small cabin in the mtns)

I never owned anything other than a Weber before I got the Egg and I still need another Weber to go with the egg here. Of course I need an Egg to go with the Weber in VA too.
Camille Eonich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #659
cbpeck
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Over the past month I've gotten rid of:

2 Weber 1000 gas grills
1 Genesis Silver A
1 Black Performer
3 Green 22"
1 Blue 22"
6 Red 22"
4 Black 22"
1 Gray 22"
1 SJP
1 SJS
2 Weber Redneck Firepits

Thats it! I quit! No mas!
Somebody ban him, please.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #660
mrcranky
Knows what a fatty is.

Great thread!

A couple months ago, I found an 18.5" kettle in the trash across the street from my house when I was leaving for work. I think of that Weber as the gateway kettle.

A month or so later, I pick up a pre-1979 22.5" & Smokey Joe for $25.

Today, I'm picking up the red 22.5" for $15.

Probably going to buy a Cajun Bandit in the next week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st.JPG (71.7 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd.jpg (8.1 KB, 455 views)

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods