MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Default $3,000 Purse for NH Ribfest '08???

I just got an email from one of the organizers outlining the payouts for the Merrimack, NH event. To me, this seems really low.

The $3K is to be distributed across BOTH the Sat. grilling and Sun. KCBS BBQ events!!

Their event is held at the Anheuser Busch plant and draws TENS of thousands of people who pay admission!

Am I missing something? Yeah, it's for a charity but come on...

I know I personally am not in this for the money, but IF I did place as GC or reserve, I would expect to at least cover my costs!! Meat, gas, supplies, entry, beer(?), food, etc. and have a little scratch left to celebrate with a nice dinner for the crew and maybe a new doodad for the team.

I'm still going to go, but I am very disappointed - especially since they announced the pool after the applications were sent out and they did the same thing last year.

It's an awesome contest and venue and I look forward to it but I just wanted to see how everyone else felt about it.

Here's the rundown:

4 $100+trophies First Places (Saturday)
4 $150+trophies First Places (Sunday)
4 $50+trophies Second Places (Saturday)
4 $75+trophies Second Places (Sunday)
1 $400+trophy Grand Prize (Saturday)
1 $600+trophy Grand Prize (Sunday)
1 $200+trophy Reserve (Saturday)
1 $300+trophy Reserve (Sunday)
8 Trophies Third Places (Saturday and Sunday)
16 Medals Fourth and Fifth Places (Saturday and Sunday)
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 05:49 AM   #2
MilitantSquatter

There seems to have been a lot of talk about this on the NEBS yahoo group.. I did not keep up with specifics as I did not intend to compete there but I also think the organizers did not choose to get NEBS sanctioning this year either as it related to the Rotary Club who is helping with the event and the ROI they felt they were not getting from the fee.

Seemed like this contest could loose a lot of returning teams due to the NEBS issue which would prove the sanctioning means something especially for those interested in NEBS team standings.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with you Barry. If I say anymore, i might lose respect for myself. :)

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Read about it here
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

The prize $ at NH has always sucked. Decent venue near home, Jack Qualifier, NEBS Team of the Year pts has been a draw for me in past years. But have always had a sour taste in my mouth regarding the organizers treating the cooks as an after thought.

I probably wont cook it unless they get nebs sanctioning.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

$3K for this contest is a joke. They draw 10K people a day at $5 a head (including many friends and families of teams). Word on the street is that this event makes more than $150K annually for the group that organizes it. The lack of prize money is pure greed. I am skipping this one whether or not they get NEBS sanctioning.

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

I wrote back to them asking about this and am waiting on a response.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

We've been considering the trip out for this one. Payout is not usually a thought, but our fellow friends and competitors are. Sounds to me like the contest is really an afterthought, and there are plenty of other contests on the schedule.

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looked back, pretty sure its the same payouts that they had last year...
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
Looked back, pretty sure its the same payouts that they had last year...
Yes but I was under the impression that last year was light for a reason, not the norm!

It's a great event, worth the 6 hours of travel for us, but I am not happy about the fact that they revealed such a light pool AFTER they emailed the applications to the competitors.

Maybe if everyone who got the email sent back their feelings, it would be helpful...

Thoughts?
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
Yes but I was under the impression that last year was light for a reason, not the norm!

It's a great event, worth the 6 hours of travel for us, but I am not happy about the fact that they revealed such a light pool AFTER they emailed the applications to the competitors.

Maybe if everyone who got the email sent back their feelings, it would be helpful...

Thoughts?
It looks like the entry fee goes up every year but not the prize money. I believe the number of teams has also risen every year which should mean more money for the prize pool.

The links Didn't work. Anyway the application for 2004, 2007 and 2008 are on the NEBS Yahoo group in the file section. 2004 was $90/$110, 2007 was $125/150 and 08 is $150/$175 . NEBS/Non NEBS Granted sanctioning fees have risen this year but that doesn't account for the number of teams. In 07 there were 36 teams in the event. I'm not sure about prior years. 36 x $125 is $4500 and I'm sure a good number of teams were not NEBS members so that number goes up.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.

Last edited by YankeeBBQ; 02-08-2008 at 01:09 PM..
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I enjoyed the company last year but won't be returning given the small number of contests I can do this year, coupled with the drive, prize money and non-NEBS affliliation.

It is still a state championship though.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
Q Haven
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
It is still a state championship though.
If they get 25 teams to show up....

Q Haven BBQ, Orange, CT
qhaven.com
facebook.com/qhavenbbq

Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Party
Q Haven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Mrs. Sawdust
On the road to being a farker

Well, Our application is in. We enjoyed this contest last year. The venue is great and I can only say good things about how we were treated. Pete helped us get our trailer tire fixed. I know a great deal is being said about the prize pool, but to be honest, I have never made a decision about entering a contest based on the prize pool. I do consider location/venue and our availability to cook. I remember a poll here not to long ago asking if you had a choice of cash, trophies or medals most people elected the hardware. If nothing else, why not consider it a donation to a worthy cause and if there are enough teams, a possible trip to the Jack.
Equipment:
"Sam-I-Am: XL Big Green Egg
"R2 and D2": Twin 22" Weber Smokey Mountains
Brewery:
Custom Made Automated Souped Up Sabco
Mrs. Sawdust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Michele-
I've seen you mention a few time that you really liked the venue. I was wodneirng if you could elaborate on what parts you enjoyed so much. Reason I'm asking is that I've seen several, dozen posts on this contest over the last few weeks, and I don't remember anything being said on this point...
-B
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote