MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Default Thermapen age

How long has everyone had their thermapen? I am looking to bite the bullet but I'm torn between that and the greatly cheaper rt600c. The temperature range is whats making me lean towards the thermapen but the price difference is staggering.

But... It'd be worth it if I know it's going to pay for itself I the long run. So, how long have you had your thermapen?
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I always go by look and touch, still have good results without a thermometer.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I know I have had my first one for over 5 years. The second one for at least 3 years. The older one gets used everyday at the restaurant. The second one is the splashproof ultra fast yellow and that is the one I use. I have not had a problem with either one of them.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have 2 Thermopens, one for poultry (yellow) and one for beef and pork (red).

I have had them for two years without any problems of any type. I use the Thermopen rather than total reliance on twist and touch. I like to know just how close I am to target time for scheduled dinner time, this allows me to adjust the cooker to meet my time schedule.

They are indispensable when cooking hundreds of pieces of chicken or 20 to 40 Pork Butts to make sure a safe temperature is reached before putting in the trays to rest. It also allows you to move items around in the cooker to balance out the hot spots.

If you keep an eye out you can get a Thermopen on an Open Box Sale with full warranty. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/..._box_sale.html

Everyone has their own method of checking, and bottom line is that there are differences in the same cuts of meat, so the thermometer is just a guide to assist you, except in the case of poultry. With poultry nothing leaves my cookers until proper temperatures are achieved in each piece of meat.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

My thermapen is about a year and a half old. My dad's thermapen is about 4 years old by now. It used to be mine but eventually I could no longer separate the two of them...

At the end of the day I believe I use my thermapen for every cook on the grill or smoker even if its just verification and it also gets used inside for non patio cooking. It is probably my most used cooking tool. There may be a cheaper substitute option that works well but I have no regrets over the cash I've dropped on both of them.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
rlt
On the road to being a farker

I use mine on almost every cook, but I use it for baking too. I make alot of bread and it is invaluable to check water temperature before pitching yeast. It truly is a helpful tool.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Great, thanks for the feedback. At the rate I'm dropping on thermometers that break I'm just going to order it.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

speaking of splashproof, mine went through the washmachine. even like an idiot I open it up right away and was blown away that it turned on. quick turned it off, opened the battery cap, poured out water, left it open for a week to dry out and its working just like the day I got it.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

I have two thermapens. The older, super fast red one, is now going on 5 yrs. The newer one, screaming fast orange, is abt 2 yrs old. Both doing GREAT......

I recently purchased 5 of the rt600c thermometers, and IMHO, I would not recommend them for a lot of cooking.... they have a rather long skinny probe and a rather small case. I would think that if used a lot, that would be the weak point and break or come apart there.

Bite the bullet and get the pen if you are serious abt a great thermometer that will hold up.

Bill
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

You will find also that the rt600c is a slower responding thermometer, not much, but it is slower, and the accuracy is NOT as good as the real deal thermopens.....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
chad

I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and never a problem. It's been used at home, comps, and catering in good, bad, and UGLY weather conditions.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

What I found curious, was I have only entered one competition, but the KCBS reps when they came around for meat inspection, they specifically asked to see my Thermopen, by name...not just a thermometer. My red one is about 4 years old and has been refurbished twice ($15 a pop) my orange one is 2 years old and have not had any issues with that one.
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

wow thanks for the great responses guys, i guess there is a reason they are the best and most popular.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

And their customer service is superior. I ordered one for my bro as a Xmas gift and when it arrived I immidiately noticed it wasn't working right. I placed a call to them on the 20th of December and explained that compared to my Tpen my bro's was slow and had a delay. Before I even told them that I needed it for Xmas the guy shipped out a replacement and told me to just put to defective one in the box that the new one was coming in and send it back. The whole call to them regarding the issue took about 3 minutes total. Needless to say I rec'd the replacemnt on the 22nd of December and in time for Xmas. That's what I call service.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
CYvilEng
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
speaking of splashproof, mine went through the washmachine. even like an idiot I open it up right away and was blown away that it turned on. quick turned it off, opened the battery cap, poured out water, left it open for a week to dry out and its working just like the day I got it.
Similar story here too. I left mine outside and it snowed 4 inches on it. I opened it to see if I ruined it and it worked. The display was a little sluggish. Still works like a champ.

Sent from my phone.
CYvilEng is offline   Reply With Quote