MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Default Uncooked, Raw Meat?

Have you ever been "accused" of cooking Ribs in a KCBS event and had a judge respond to you with the comment of "uncooked, raw meat" and gave you a 2 on taste and 2 on tenderness?

Well, guess what? In our very first KCBS event, we did! What do we win?

Somehow, after smoking our ribs for 6 hours, then turning in 6 bones from the same rack, we managed to make 5 of the 6 turn out pretty good....but like 4 outta 5 dentists who recommend Trident, well....I think we found that 5th dentist who is also a KCBS judge and doesn't like gum....or ribs!

Do you know how incredibly hard it is to cook a single rack of ribs for 6 hours and to leave one single rib for that one Dentist who doesn't like Trident? Well, in our first KCBS event, we have conquered that feat!

Here are our scores:
887 866, 822, 988, 887, 879

I will upload a picture of the ribs we turned in the box soon......I can't wait to find Waldo...I mean that "uncooked, raw meat" rib. Do you know how hard it is to cut a raw rib to fit in with the rest of the rack).
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
BrotherInArms
On the road to being a farker

That sounds insane. When you figure out how you managed to leave one rib out of whole rack make a phone call to Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Look forward to seeing the picture

Old 03-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

The good news is that judges score was dropped. The bad news is that judge was allowed to judge and has no clue on what they were looking for in the 'que.

What was that judges average score for the day?

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

First off, congrats on the pork call in your 1st comp, now on to the rib scores.....

This is just an educated guess, but your smoker is cooking hotter on one end then the other. You can see it in your tenderness scores. 9.8.7.7.6.2

While we can blame the judge, at least he in his lame way, has given you THE direction to go.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

I had a 922 on chicken last year. Finished 3rd on the table with scores including 999, 999, and 998. However, chicken is a bit different since it is easier to get some redness along the bone, even if it is at temp.

Were the ribs frozen? It is possible that one end thawed in water in the cooler and the other end was in air and didn't thaw as well.

In any case, the other tenderness scores show inconsistency. Ribs are probably the easiest to score for tenderness. You usually won't get 6's and 7's if the meat pulls cleanly from the bone (unless if completely falls off). It is possible that there was some meat against the bone that only made it to 150 or 155 and didn't have a fully cooked texture.

The bottom line is to not let it bother you. Just use this information to be more consistent in the future.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
First off, congrats on the pork call in your 1st comp, now on to the rib scores.....

This is just an educated guess, but your smoker is cooking hotter on one end then the other. You can see it in your tenderness scores. 9.8.7.7.6.2

While we can blame the judge, at least he in his lame way, has given you THE direction to go.
How did you conclude the temp in the pit? What if the tough one was from the middle of the rack?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

They are now tracking the judges score at each event so I expect someone will talk to that judge if it is a consistent score from them, but judging is very subjective. We did a practice contest yesterday with CBJs and on my ribs, the comments from one rib judge was undercooked while the others said spot on. Judges are just people with differing opinions. It happens a lot. I know all competitors would like for it not to happen and KCBS is trying weed out the "rogue" judges with the new tracking system but sometimes they just don't like your product, it is that simple. Can't please everyone all the time.

Don't let it get to you. Learn what you can from it and move one. We used to agonize over every score from every judge and that will drive you nuts chasing your tail.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
How did you conclude the temp in the pit? What if the tough one was from the middle of the rack?
I guess it was from my experience as a rib cook.

Ribs normally cook pretty even in a pit, unless you have a tapper rib or your pit is hotter at one end.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

what was the percetage of certified judges? could it have been this judge was so inexperienced that they were looking at the smoke ring? to the untrained eye, all that red meat in there can be cause for concern.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post
what was the percetage of certified judges? could it have been this judge was so inexperienced that they were looking at the smoke ring? to the untrained eye, all that red meat in there can be cause for concern.
It would have been 100%. You need to be a CBJ to sign up as a Sam's judge.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ65 View Post
I had a 922 on chicken last year. Finished 3rd on the table with scores including 999, 999, and 998. However, chicken is a bit different since it is easier to get some redness along the bone, even if it is at temp.
Right.... and,.... your 6 pieces of chicken came from a minimum of 3 birds and a maximum of 6 birds. I've been at tables where one thigh was a complete dud.. In fact last year I had a thigh that was mushy and had some kind of substance that looked like snot in it. Other judges scored theirs with 8's and 9's. I gave mine 4's for taste and tenderness... the Table Captain thought that was generous.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Right.... and,.... your 6 pieces of chicken came from a minimum of 3 birds and a maximum of 6 birds. I've been at tables where one thigh was a complete dud.. In fact last year I had a thigh that was mushy and had some kind of substance that looked like snot in it. Other judges scored theirs with 8's and 9's. I gave mine 4's for taste and tenderness... the Table Captain thought that was generous.
The point that I was trying to make was that it doesn't matter if it was raw or not. I'm 100% certain that my chicken was done. However, if the judge sees a blood line and interprets that as under cooked you have lost that judge. Don't worry about whether it was to USDA temps or not, if you get 2's you need change something. For me, it was cutting along the bone to make sure that the blood line is eliminated.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for all of your responses. This was a Sams club event that uses 100% CBJ.

I do agree the scores could point to an inconsistent grill temp or just be inconsistent people with different likes/dislikes.

Either way, we just could not figure out how he/she felt it was raw. Chewy, too tender, dry, mushy....something...but raw? I don't buy that.

Take a look:

Old 03-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #14
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post

Thanks!! We knew we were entering a stacked field of competitors. Getting a call was a huge confidence booster. Being our first 4 meat contest, we learned so much. No matter how prepared you think you are, you can never simulate the real thing. The pouring rain from 8AM on was a bit of a challenge but it was the same for everybody.

Can't wait to try again!

One interesting thing I found from reviewing the scores....the top 5 in ribs all came from the same table. Sounded strange to me. From looking at all the scores, it seems it was a hot table for all meats. I've heard of the table of death but it almost looked like it was 4 cold tables and one hot table. That one table had 1-2 in chicken, 1-2-3-4-5 in ribs, 3rd in pork, 3-4 in brisket. And of course, none of our 4 entries hit that table!!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ65 View Post
The point that I was trying to make was that it doesn't matter if it was raw or not. I'm 100% certain that my chicken was done. However, if the judge sees a blood line and interprets that as under cooked you have lost that judge. Don't worry about whether it was to USDA temps or not, if you get 2's you need change something. For me, it was cutting along the bone to make sure that the blood line is eliminated.
I agree a 2 is out of line. But, did the comment card say bloody or did it say raw? What I was getting at was you could have had an oddball piece, from an oddball bird,... and independent of whatever you did.... that one piece finished up with a bad texture (like maybe a bite that was springy and chewy, or one that was sticky and mushy) and that judge called it raw verses "under-cooked", or "chewy texture", etc.).

My story of getting a bad snotty thigh was just an example that happened to me.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote