MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
temptedfate
Got Wood.

Default Combining 2 rubs together help pls???

Let me first start by saying that I make all my rubs from scratch in small batches for each one of my KCBS categories. For the last year I have taken two different rubs for my pork(one that is my basic rub that I like and have added another that is heavier on the heat but with lots of flavor). I have a ratio of 2-1 which seems to give a flavor profile that works good for us but I want to try and trim down the steps in the process. This is how I do it.

1- Mix rub A in a jar (batch make 3 cups)
2- Mix rub B in a jar (batcth makes 1 1/4 cups)
3- take 2 part A and mix in 1 part B

There you go seems simple, it is but I was wondering is there a way of combining the ingredients of both recipes into 1 simplier rub to come out with the same flavor. In my mind if I just add all ingredients together of both rubs it will be wrong. Has anyone ever taken 2 or more rubs and done this. Both recipies use most of the same spices(salt,pepper,chili powder, onion,garlic,cumin, oregano,and sugar but in different amounts)
temptedfate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

you just need to weigh all of your ingredients as you are making each rub. Then you can figure out the combined weight of each ingredient form rub A and rub B. I cant think of any reason that it would turn out different other than a cooking or grinding difference.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Take the ingredients of batch A and list them. This equals 3 cups. Take the ingredients of batch B and multiple them by 1.2 then list them. This makes 1 1/2 cups. Add the amounts listed in A to the amounts listed in B and add them together. The result will be 4 1/2 cups of your new batch C.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Gitana
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Take the ingredients of batch A and list them. This equals 3 cups. Take the ingredients of batch B and multiple them by 1.2 then list them. This makes 1 1/2 cups. Add the amounts listed in A to the amounts listed in B and add them together. The result will be 4 1/2 cups of your new batch C.

Little correction. You forgot step 3. Need to first multiply the ingredients of A by 2 and not multiply the ones for B. Will end up with 7 1/4 cups of the new batch C.
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

If you know the weight of each ingredient in rub A and rub B you will not have to make 7-1/2 cups. You can have a separate recipe for rub C. If you are willing to share the recipe for both A and B we should be able to give you C
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
If you know the weight of each ingredient in rub A and rub B you will not have to make 7-1/2 cups. You can have a separate recipe for rub C. If you are willing to share the recipe for both A and B we should be able to give you C
Smells Shiggy to me
Going by weight is the right way if your rub is figured in Volumetric measure, doing it this way ensures consistency. I tend to do my rubs in PARTS because a PART can be anythhing a LB, a 1/4 tsp or a shot glass just don't matter doing it in this manner it is easy to consistently mix any amount I want accurately.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
Little correction. You forgot step 3. Need to first multiply the ingredients of A by 2 and not multiply the ones for B. Will end up with 7 1/4 cups of the new batch C.
Batch one makes 3 cups. A 2 to 1 ratio means that you need 1 1/2 cups of Batch 2; however, Batch 2 only makes 1 1/4 cups. If you multiply each ingredient of Batch B by 20%, or 1.2, you get the required 1 1/2 cups to make it a 2 to 1 mixture of A to B.

How is this wrong?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 11-02-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Gitana
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Batch one makes 3 cups. A 2 to 1 ratio means that you need 1 1/2 cups of Batch 2; however, Batch 2 only makes 1 1/4 cups. If you multiply each ingredient of Batch B by 20%, or 1.2, you get the required 1 1/2 cups to make it a 2 to 1 mixture of A to B.

How is this wrong?

I'm sorry, you're absolutely right. I blame lack of sleep.
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
I'm sorry, you're absolutely right. I blame lack of sleep.
No problem at all. The important thing is how we all jump in to help out a fellow Brethren. I should have been more clear to start with. Your comment was helpful.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #10
temptedfate
Got Wood.

Thank you for all responses sorry for taking so long to get back. So if I understand I should weigh all my ingredients out in grams separtly for each portion of the rub and then correct proportions would be right

so if I take each ingredient of RUB "A" weigh it separatly and than take each ingredient of RUB "B" in the proper porportion add the list together that whould make RUB "C" and thats the recipe I need to use but what if the portion is so small it reads 0 on scale(1/2 tsp of nutmeg) weighs nothing on my scale. And if there is an ingrredient in rubB thats not in rub A I need to divide that by something or is that just added(math was never my strong point).

Thank you
temptedfate is offline   Reply With Quote