"Mushy" pulled pork? Overcooked?

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey brethren,

We attended a trade show this weekend where they had a BBQ concession stand set up. During one of the slow times we went and got a pulled pork sammie with chips and drink.

The PP was VERY mushy. Does this mean it was overcooked?

Hey brethren,

We attended a trade show this weekend where they had a BBQ concession stand set up. During one of the slow times we went and got a pulled pork sammie with chips and drink.

The PP was VERY mushy. Does this mean it was overcooked?

Usually, or held too long at too high of a temp which is pretty much the same thing. I believe there are some ingredients that can also do the same thing when injected.

Usually, or held too long at too high of a temp which is pretty much the same thing. I believe there are some ingredients that can also do the same thing when injected.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. It had the texture of creamy chicken and dumplins. But didn't taste as good. :grin:

I went to a comp once and took part of the peoples choice...

one of the PP had a refried bean consistency, im thinking both cooks have the same style... I wasn't a big fan..

A combination of cook time, hold time, injection and even what is added if/when it is wrapped all contribute IMO.

I agree with Castlepines...mushy pork is easy to do when you braise the meat. Sadly I'm speaking from experience!!! :roll:

Sometimes they've put a meat tenderizer (meant for short cooks like steaks) in their rub, only to find out that on a long cook you end up with something like refried beans or peanut butter consistency in pork... NASTY.

You know I actually thought he cooked it in the oven because there was literally ZERO smoke flavor (though he said he cooked with hickory) and no smoke ring whatsoever.

That's what liquid smoke is for. The smoke ring is the hardest part to fake. :thumb:

I have a friend that always injects with some "secret" brine and his pulled pork is always mushy, like your talking about. I always thought is was too much MSG or something else in his injection that made it that way, of course being the good friend I am i never said a word, which make my spousal unit happy.

I have a friend that always injects with some "secret" brine and his pulled pork is always mushy, like your talking about. I always thought is was too much MSG or something else in his injection that made it that way, of course being the good friend I am i never said a word, which make my spousal unit happy.

But does his have smoke flavor and a smoke ring? Because this guy's had ZERO and I mean ZERO smoke flavor, though he told me he cooked with charcoal and wood and zero smoke ring.

But does his have smoke flavor and a smoke ring? Because this guy's had ZERO and I mean ZERO smoke flavor, though he told me he cooked with charcoal and wood and zero smoke ring.

yes it does have smoke flavor, not great but some but it is so mushy your couldn't see a smoke ring unless you microscopes part of it and as i said I'm not allowed to be that critical.

Yeah. It's wrapped for too long and ends up steaming. I've done it myself. No need to wrap really. I do at the end to soften the bark just a little

I was at a soccer tournament once and got a pp sammie. While the guy was spreading it on a bun like peanut butter I asked him where is his smoker? He said he smoked off site. (Not exactly legal in my state). I was skeptical to say the least. When i walked around his trailor, there it was. Empty boxes of J.T.M'S!!! Never again.

Back