A Special Thanks to The Empire State Barbecue Championship

HONCHO GREGORY

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
1st off I must thank you for your kind invite to your great, growing Empire State BBQ Series. I know how much work goes in to running a BBQ event. Yes, it's a labor of love. Over the years we've met some of the best people and great cooks in the sport we love.

As some of you know we've had our share of problems running these events, again it's a labor of love.

The reason we are not able to change our rules and join the Empire State Series as it was presented to us is that the rules that we use for the Smokin' Eagles Festival and the Ribfest are set forth by the National BBQ Festival and we have to comply with the rules as they are given to our contest since it is a qualifier. The rules we use were adopted by World Barbecue Association http://www.wbqa.com thanks to Rocky Danner and Kell Phelps, Both you know from the www.barbecuenews.com

Some of the ways that our rules differ from KCBS contrests are that:

-You can cook 3 of the 4 meats, not all 4, This gives you a chance to drop the meat category that you're not doing as good as you once were in

-Our turn in times are 1 hour apart not 1/2 hour, a more relaxed atmosphere

-Our turn in boxes do not have any garnish, a cost saving for teams

-When we drop the low score, that means not the judge but the lowest of the line, so judge #1 could be the low in tenderness and judge 3 could be the low in taste and some other judge the low in presentation.

Our teams have been very loyal to our contest because our Grand Champion wins a paid entrance to the www.nationalbbqfestival.com

We also paid 110% back in entrance fees to our teams as prize money.

We are building a world class event that may take sometime- and we know that...

Last year we are able to put on a mountain breakfast, with coffee and donuts. With a tent full all day from several cookin demos,
We are growing bbq in WNY that will help all BBQ events. We have classes planned for this year featuring Rocky Danner, his son Jeff and Danny Montgomery. Anyone who attends "The Jack" knows Rocky Danner for the "Rocky Danner Award" that is given each year, this year it was awarded to Paul Kirk. Dannny Montgomery has won the GC then RC x 2 at "The Jack" some may remember, with his back problems he doesn't do what he has before, but is kind enough to help our cause. Jeff Danner is a great cook in his own right, He lives in Chicago Ill. and also cooks KCBS and is entered in the Sam's event

Some of you see us at different events, Wishing we could afford to do more. If I could I would
We do wish Y'all the best and again, Thank You for the invite.
We really do our best for ALL BBQ

Thanks, Karen n Honcho Gregory
Cookin School 4-16-2011
Old Falls Street Rib fest 7-15, 16, 2011
Smokin Eagles International BBQ Festival Aug 12-13,2011
www.sebbq.com

what team did Danny cook with at the Jack? I don't have him down for being head cook for any of the past champions.

Thanks!

What is the purpose of this thread? You start off with:

'1st off I must thank you for your kind invite to your great, growing Empire State BBQ Series.'

Which leads me to believe that this was a personal note intended for the members of the ESBS. Was this a pm that you mistakenly posted in the Comp section?

You then spend the rest of your missive describing your contest, not mentioning anything else about the ESBS. Strange.

Eric

I'm with you Eric, this has me scratching my head. Sounds more like and announcement for the Smokin Eagles contest.I thought this year the rules changed to allow contests sanctioned by different organizations.

I'm with you Eric, this has me scratching my head. Sounds more like and announcement for the Smokin Eagles contest.I thought this year the rules changed to allow contests sanctioned by different organizations.

There are no sanctioning rules for the ESBS. Any sanctioning body or none. Events just need to abide by the minimum requirements of the ESBS.

Maybe the founders of the ESBS will pop in here. There's is the official word.

Eric

This is part of Danny's email he sent me a few week ago

Memphis in may world championship first place rib in 2000
cooking with the Jamaican team 2002 international grand champ Jack Daniels
2003 reserve grand champion international Jack Daniels
2004 reserve grand champ international Jack Daniels (I COOKED WITH THE JAMAICAN TEAM FOR THREE YEARS)
have won ms state champion in chicken,brisket, and ribs
and many other awards. honcho i hope this will help. i am looking forward to coming and helping with the cooking class.

hogg man
Danny Montgomery

No this wasn't an event announcement. But after looking at it again I see your point
I just don't have a email each event, I do want to let them I do thank them for the invite. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. Most of the teams that cook in our events also do ESBC as do we. Last year we moved our event off one of the series Cause we are the new guy on the block.

Sorry for any confusion, Happy BBQ Trails to all

I took it as it just a thank you to the NY BBQ community in inviting them to participate in the ESBC. Whether it was intended as an announcement or not they are new to the brethren and perhaps a little more of welcome could have been extended.

It was decided, after long debate, that a competition would have to cook all four meats. Smoking Eagles is a great event but the differences are just a bit outside of what the series needs for consistency across comps. It is a great run event and only left out of the series because of the rules differences.

It was decided, after long debate, that a competition would have to cook all four meats. Smoking Eagles is a great event but the differences are just a bit outside of what the series needs for consistency across comps. It is a great run event and only left out of the series because of the rules differences.

Thank You for your kind words. I think it is a honor to be asked

Thank You, Happy BBQ Trails to All

I took it as it just a thank you to the NY BBQ community in inviting them to participate in the ESBC. Whether it was intended as an announcement or not they are new to the brethren and perhaps a little more of welcome could have been extended.

you right, Sorry if I wasn't welcoming, it was not on purpose, I was just confused.

I have heard a lot of good things about this contest, and from what I understand it is a qualifier for the Best of the Best. Its too bad that you couldn't work it out to be part of the series.....

I have cooked this event twice and every year it gets better. The two biggest things that stand out is the three meat option and that brisket must be sliced, (no choped or burnt ends).

Being able to switch gears is a sign of a real bbq master, I think this event does belong on the same standing as the KCBS events but thats just my humble opinion

Cheers,

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ

I think this event does belong on the same standing as the KCBS events but thats just my humble opinion

A bit off topic here, but I'm not sure what that means. There is nothing inherently superior about KCBS events. From what I've heard, I'm assuming that Smokin Eagles will be better than a bunch of KCBS events.

Eric

Back