Cooking 6.5# brisket flat tomorrow...should I inject and rub tonight?

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to be cooking a 6.5# brisket flat tomorrow morning. I'm wondering if I should do any prep work to it tonight? I haven't done a brisket before so this will be my first. I was wondering if I should rub it tonight or maybe inject it? If so what kind of rub and what kind of injection?

Thanks,
Patrick

I don't rub or marinate in advance - and I never inject my briskets. Just rub it before I go out to start the fire.

As far as rub - try seasoned salt followed by coarse salt and pepper. Pretty basic, but it gives you a good place to start.

OK, I like to rub the night before and did inject on my last one. This is why cookin is fun, we all do it different.

Can't say my brisket was great. It tasted good but was not a tender as I would have liked.

My opinion on the rub is that overnight gives it a chance to sort of soak into the meat. Injection can be done just before the cook if you like. I have not found much difference, but am a BIG fan of injecting, especially birds.

Good luck, and try it many different ways. Jim

Currently I do pretty much what JamesTX does. I do own a brand spanking new injector though and have plans for it.

I quit using my injector a long time ago. It always seemed like 90% of what I injected just leaked out during the cook. I have found that my briskets turn out best if I soak it in a water/salt/vinegar solution overnight or longer. The salt soaks in and brings out the flavor of the meat while the acid of the vinegar helps to break down the tissues making it more tender.

Just my 2 cents.

Bartstop

I quit using my injector a long time ago. It always seemed like 90% of what I injected just leaked out during the cook. I have found that my briskets turn out best if I soak it in a water/salt/vinegar solution overnight or longer. The salt soaks in and brings out the flavor of the meat while the acid of the vinegar helps to break down the tissues making it more tender.

Just my 2 cents.

Bartstop

Hmmm....very...interesting. Sounds almost like a brine. So you marinade it overnight? These are some good ideas I need to try. I'm thinking for my first time around I should do the KISS method.

...should I inject and rub tonight?

Yep...:thumb:

I just posted my brisket not post , it was my 1st injected brisket, to bad it I didn't get to find out how it came out!

I tend to do as the first response suggested.

Back