MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
If I can buy 1800 lbs at 1.00 a pound, that is $1800. If I buy 1800 lbs @ 1.35 a pound where it is gonna be in two weeks 2430. I will save 630. I can go through that amount in a month. My freezers are plugged in anyway. If I can play the market and save 630 3 to 4 times a year. You do the math! Spend more if you want, I will continue to work my bottom line!
Ya just cant argue about math it's always right! Thanks Jacked up BBQ

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Cant really blame it on grain prices, corn prices are lower now than they were last May, and futures prices are not showing big increases aside from seasonally adjusted late fall and winter demand.

Soft export demand and the H1N1 flu scare drove pork prices way down last year, bottoming out at around $40 per hundredweight late last fall. We ate good on the cheap, but farmers were barely breaking even, if they made money at all. Many didn't replenish their herds.

Now, US herds are down about 3% from last year. In addition, the Canadian government has instituted a program that pays Canadian farmers not to produce hogs for 3 years, so Canada has reduced their herds by 12%.

H1N1 didn't turn out to be as bad as predicted and summer grilling season is just around the corner, so both domestic and export demand is rising faster than supplies. Hogs closed at close to $71 per hundredweight here yesterday, and futures prices are in the low to mid $80 range through summer, so don't look for any huge price declines soon.

You can't watch or listen to a newscast here without getting commodities prices.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke it if ya got it View Post
Ya just cant argue about math it's always right! Thanks Jacked up BBQ
This all works out if you already have a freezer that will hold the product and you sell enough each month. I know the cost of ribs has really gone up so I am thinking about doing this myself.

I talked to the manager of a large restaurant chain and they have contracts with their suppliers that give them a guaranteed cost for the year. Sometimes I can buy cheaper and sometimes they are getting it cheaper. I was surprised that with their national volume they were paying more than I was for the same ribs last month.
PorkQPine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post
This all works out if you already have a freezer that will hold the product and you sell enough each month. I know the cost of ribs has really gone up so I am thinking about doing this myself.

I talked to the manager of a large restaurant chain and they have contracts with their suppliers that give them a guaranteed cost for the year. Sometimes I can buy cheaper and sometimes they are getting it cheaper. I was surprised that with their national volume they were paying more than I was for the same ribs last month.
Speaking of ribs check out the sale at rest depot St lois ribs .99 cents a pound!http://www.restaurantsbyclick.com/rd...0_nw/index.htm

Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Just noticed those are rib pieces can anyone explain this besides they are ribs in pieces?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
If I can buy 1800 lbs at 1.00 a pound, that is $1800. If I buy 1800 lbs @ 1.35 a pound where it is gonna be in two weeks 2430. I will save 630. I can go through that amount in a month. My freezers are plugged in anyway. If I can play the market and save 630 3 to 4 times a year. You do the math! Spend more if you want, I will continue to work my bottom line!
That's what lifes about. For you owning the empty freezer the math works. For others like me it may not work. That's what makes the world go around. And truth is I hate having to thaw raw meat for cooking. Although I do have more space than I used to with the new trailer.

Good finally meeting you in NLR.
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Too bad you can't freeze Parsley
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #23
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I'm working on a revolutionary new box the chia box just water and pow parsley in a few days!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
57 cents a bunch at Wal Mart in Metairie LA. So 12 bunches is less than $7. I spend that much on coffee for the weekend. Was also cheap in Mobile just over 60 cents. Just don't understand the issue with parsley unless it's all that time making the box when you could be drinking.

Last edited by Ford; 04-02-2010 at 07:40 PM..
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #25
chopshop
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke it if ya got it View Post
Just noticed those are rib pieces can anyone explain this besides they are ribs in pieces?
I was at the depot today picking up brisket and i saw the 99 cent ribs on the way out. so being the lazy person that i am i decided to call instead of walking back in. when i asked the meat manager what it was for 99 cent he told me with his spanish accent rib bits. over and over. " rib bits" he sounded like a spanish frog. kind of funny
Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I bought some brisket at BJ's yesterday and almost fell over when I looked at the price. $3.59lb. The meat manager told me that he was told that beef prices are going to go way up in the next couple of weeks and had been asked to cut back on the beef order.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #27
bbqpitstop

pork usually is up during spring and summer due to demand....but not much....I'd rather have fresh butts, and lets not forget....one power outage, or someone trips over the extension cord and unplugs the freezer and......lol.....uh oh.....as for the butcher predicting the upcoming prices.....his speculation is no better than wall streets...it's publicly traded and may very well fall through the basement floor if demand is down or feed becomes plentiful suddenly...it's always a crap shoot. Buy the way you want to buy, then price accordingly....have yet to hit a festival where anyone bitches about a twenty five cent difference if it's really necessary....it still beats hot dogs and burgs...and the line is just as long.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #28
Smokinrubcom
Full Fledged Farker

my cost on butts went from .97lb last week to 1.22 this week. Ribs are holding steady for me.But briskets went from 2.13lb last week to 2.56 lb my cost this week.

Mike
Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #29
dswfondy
On the road to being a farker

Here is some info for you guys, that i get from my Supplier. Has alot of good info, and is usually right on for us
Attached Files
File Type: doc MMM%204.10.10[1].doc (92.0 KB, 19 views)
dswfondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #30
bbqpitstop

Good article...We in Buffalo are still trying to figure out how to breed chickens with four wings....We figure it will cut our wing prices in half...lol