MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
schlickenmeyer
Full Fledged Farker

Default First commercial offer, advice welcome.

So the head chef at a friends bar / restaurant wants me to do pork butts for her all American themed weekend menu. I have no license, insurance, etc. Nor do I have intention of doing much of this type of work as a newbie.

My assumption is, if I bring my gear there, and assist her by supervising, and either use their butts or she goes with me to costco and she purchases them herself, then all food safety and other problems are covered as she was present and in charge the whole time, even if I am the one who watched the gauge and fed the fire.

How far off base am I?

Thanks in advance!
Weber 22.5" #2, CGSP w/ SFB, CG Akorn, Smokey Joe #2, Mac's BBQ CSG, Blue Thermapen.
schlickenmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

If she gets all of the meats and you prep in her kitchen and she pays you weather she is there or not the way I see it is you are her employee for the day. You may run into a problem if you get the meats cook and transport them to her.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
schlickenmeyer
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, that was kinda my thinking.. I don't want any liability issues for myself, or my friend who owns it. I figure 200F on pork is well past the safe temps, so the food safety risk is low if a clean kitchen is used.
Weber 22.5" #2, CGSP w/ SFB, CG Akorn, Smokey Joe #2, Mac's BBQ CSG, Blue Thermapen.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

i have the same off what are you doing on payment?
rgrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
schlickenmeyer
Full Fledged Farker

Have not worked that out yet, was just the opening offer to pay me for my time. May take a tab as they will likely give me more than they would if cash.
Also going to be smoking cheese for them.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

So you have a NSF smoker to smoke food to be served to the public?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
So you have a NSF smoker to smoke food to be served to the public?
Really Kurt, you are the only person ive ever heard of that had to have a NSF smoker to cater or vend with! Just because your HD were idiots that doesnt mean most others are.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Really Kurt, you are the only person ive ever heard of that had to have a NSF smoker to cater or vend with! Just because your HD were idiots that doesnt mean most others are.
He is in Minnesota, I don't think he has a choice.

Also, every vending trailer in Minnesota has to have NSF equipment unless they are vending with the Special event license, 3 events for no more than 10 days total for the year.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Kurt is right! Minnesota seems to be one of the most regulated states that I have heard of when it comes to bbq and the equipment that we are allowed to use. schlickenmeyer is in Minnesota so he better have the right gear or he and the business owner could get into some trouble on this one.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
rgrizzle
Full Fledged Farker

I am going Saturday or Sunday to try to Work out a deal. Trying to shoot for a percentage.
rgrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote