MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #31
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never eaten any other than mine, my Dads or central NC bbq so I don't know how to compare.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #32
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

OK guys, been in Nashville for a couple days, headed home today. Tried Jacks (on Broadway) and thought it was quit good for restaurant Q ( more on that over in road trips). We are headed down I24 towards Atlanta and noticed there is a Jim-N-Nicks there pretty close to the interstate. I'm not a big fan of franchise BBQ but some of y'all think they are pretty good. Is it worth the stop?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #33
HeathBarkley
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
OK guys, been in Nashville for a couple days, headed home today. Tried Jacks (on Broadway) and thought it was quit good for restaurant Q ( more on that over in road trips). We are headed down I24 towards Atlanta and noticed there is a Jim-N-Nicks there pretty close to the interstate. I'm not a big fan of franchise BBQ but some of y'all think they are pretty good. Is it worth the stop?
As far as chain BBQ restaurants go, I liked it. They have a decent menu and give decent portions. If you order ribs, they are the whole spares and not cut down STL style. I ordered the 3 meat combo and got brisket, hot links and turkey. The links were flavorful and hot, maybe a bit on the dry side. The brisket was good, but cut a little thin. The turkey was real good. Two sauces on the table, sweet original and habanero. You are probably talking about the location in Smyrna. If you stop, lets us know what you think.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #34
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathbarkley View Post
as far as chain bbq restaurants go, i liked it. They have a decent menu and give decent portions. If you order ribs, they are the whole spares and not cut down stl style. I ordered the 3 meat combo and got brisket, hot links and turkey. The links were flavorful and hot, maybe a bit on the dry side. The brisket was good, but cut a little thin. The turkey was real good. Two sauces on the table, sweet original and habanero. You are probably talking about the location in smyrna. If you stop, lets us know what you think.
+1 ^^

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #35
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

By the way....if you stop at Jim n nicks...be prepared....it's super expensive for a barbecue restaurant. It is priced more like a steakhouse chain than a bbq chain.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #36
HeathBarkley

I went back and read the source article on the T+L website. It was more of a slide show with comments. There were only 35 metropolitan cities in the running and they were from the top 35 travel destinations. Not the most scientific in poles. Nashville does have a growing "foodie" scene. Food trucks pop up all over the place. There are two BBQ festivals in Nashville, and one of them is tied to the CMA Festival. I think the average person would like what they find. For us that are more knowledgable, we might have to look further to find something that pleases us.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #37
HeathBarkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coat View Post
By the way....if you stop at Jim n nicks...be prepared....it's super expensive for a barbecue restaurant. It is priced more like a steakhouse chain than a bbq chain.
Two of my kids had the kids rib plate and I was shocked at how much they sent out. It was 3 or 4 bones off a full spare. My combo plate, my wife's half slab plate and the four kids meals was under $60 before tip. We all had water. Plus we had about four baskets of the sweet, cheesy, biscuit muffins. We took home two boxes of food. Had warmed up ribs for dinner the next night.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #38
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
have you tried richie's in white house?
No I haven't. I'm not sure where it is.

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #39
angryfish01
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
So, angryfish, what was your favorite places to eat Q in the Orlando area? I am still here and would like your recommendations. Thanks.
A bygone time.
Red's. The best bbq ribs and chicken around. Not sure if there in business any more.

I gotta update my signature!

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Just call me "The Fish"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff] [SIZE=1][COLOR=darkorange]or Ken works too.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Ardent fan of Chris P. Bacon

Last edited by angryfish01; 05-22-2014 at 08:51 AM..
angryfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #40
Crakaveli
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfish01 View Post
No I haven't. I'm not sure where it is.
U.S. 31W, White House, TN 37188

get the perfect hot wings.
Crakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #41
jacklikesbeans
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I absolutely love Whitt's and Barbecutie. Not because they are the greatest but it was what I was raised on.
jacklikesbeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #42
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
BOLDER DASH!! Everybody that is anybody knows that it is Lexington Texas.
i figured it was Jonesboro, TX . . .

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #43
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklikesbeans View Post
I absolutely love Whitt's and Barbecutie. Not because they are the greatest but it was what I was raised on.
there's certainly always a place for nostalgia on a man's palate. nothin wrong with that.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #44
HeathBarkley

Default From TMBBQ

This was just posted on TMBBQ. An open letter from Carey Bringle of Peg Leg Porkers.

http://tmbbq.com/to-all-the-armchair-bbq-critics/

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #45
SmokeDiddy

Here are the BBQ joint's I've tried in and around Nashville. I travel up there quite often. I have one of my work buddy's from there set-up a dinner outing at a different joint for every trip I make...we call it a "Din-surrection". Anyhoot, I put this list together as we tried out the joints and I only commented if I had an impression. This is a work in process... Also notice that the local chains Whitts and Bar-B-Cutie are not on here for a reason.

Martin's - Nolensville (Nolensville Road) - Local (ok Ribs)

Bacon and Caviar (B&C)- Nashville (Franklin Pike) - Local (The BEST Brisket in Nashville IMO!!!)

Edley's - Nashville (12th Street) - Local (ok)

Judge Bean's - Brentwood (Church St.) Local (do not wear light colored clothing and bring a wash cloth)

Jack's - Nashville Downtown (Broadway) - Local

Judges Vinegaroon - Nashville Downtown (Church Street) - Local, Texas style BBQ

Peg Leg Porker – Nashville Downtown (903 Gleaves St.- The Gulch) – Local competition team – Great ribs and pulled pork.

Fat Boyz BBQ – didn’t make it :(

Slick Pig - Murfreesboro, TN (E. Main St.) – Wings good, ribs so-so.

Jim 'N Nick's - Smyrna (I-24 Sam Ridley exit) - Chain

Famous Daves - Smyrna (I-24 Sam Ridley exit) - Chain

Big Bob Gibson - Decatur Alabama - Only if you have time for a road trip (approx 1 hr and 45 mins south from Nashville)

The BBQ Shop - Memphis, TN - Only if you have time for a road trip (approx 3 hrs and 30 mins West from Nashville) - The BEST glazed ribs on the planet IMO!!!

Although, I cannot say that Nashville is America's Best City for BBQ. You gotta be pretty dang good to surpass Memphis. Just my 3 cents.

[B]*BSKD[/B]
[B]*Weber 22.5" OTS[/B]
[B]*40" MES[/B]
[B]*ECB (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Weber Smokey Joe (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Maverick ET-7[/B]
[COLOR="Red"]*Weber tongs and such, hd alum foil, chimneys, matches, wood and other misc doo-dads and thing-a-majigs[/COLOR]

Last edited by SmokeDiddy; 05-23-2014 at 11:43 AM..
SmokeDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->