Nashville named America's best city for barbecue?

Oh, I remember now.......far away from the yuppie masses, stainless steel gas assist 'smokers' with their nasty smoldering fires, and the wanna be bro-country singing posers in their lame pre-distressed jeans, there is a grocery store out between Ashland City and Clarksville called Excel Grocery, where they are still burning hickory and oak slabs straight from the sawmill down to coals in burn barrels and shoveling the hot coals under whole pork shoulders all night long. Go there, smack dab in the middle of one of the prettiest parts of Middle Tennessee, and enjoy the kind of Q we'd all make if we just had the time.

BOLDER DASH!! Everybody that is anybody knows that it is Lexington Texas.

Moved here from Orlando 4 years ago. I still can't find a decent BBQ restaurant.
IMHO if there is no smoke emanating from the building, or from out back. Move on Brother.
Sounds like we have enough local brethren for a Bash!

have you tried richie's in white house?

Moved here from Orlando 4 years ago. I still can't find a decent BBQ restaurant.
IMHO if there is no smoke emanating from the building, or from out back. Move on Brother.
Sounds like we have enough local brethren for a Bash!
So, angryfish, what was your favorite places to eat Q in the Orlando area? I am still here and would like your recommendations. Thanks.

I imagine on a site like this, most of us would prefer to stay home and eat our own q :razz:

Profound brother. I very rarely go out for q any more. Jim n' Nicks is good but a little hit and miss. I absolutely prefer Martins. I haven't tried the hot new joints yet. I rather eat something for lunch I don't make like Arnold's turnip greens or a Bon Mi at Kein Giang,

Slow and Low BBQ Bistro

The brisket at Slow and Low is pretty good.

I do prefer my own BBQ, but must say i do like Martin's and Jack's BBQ pretty well....

I was in Nashville once for business and ate at Jack’s BBQ in the downtown area. I thought it was really good.

Of course this was before I started cooking my own so I’m not sure how I'd judge them now.

I've never eaten any other than mine, my Dads or central NC bbq so I don't know how to compare.

OK guys, been in Nashville for a couple days, headed home today. Tried Jacks (on Broadway) and thought it was quit good for restaurant Q ( more on that over in road trips). We are headed down I24 towards Atlanta and noticed there is a Jim-N-Nicks there pretty close to the interstate. I'm not a big fan of franchise BBQ but some of y'all think they are pretty good. Is it worth the stop?

OK guys, been in Nashville for a couple days, headed home today. Tried Jacks (on Broadway) and thought it was quit good for restaurant Q ( more on that over in road trips). We are headed down I24 towards Atlanta and noticed there is a Jim-N-Nicks there pretty close to the interstate. I'm not a big fan of franchise BBQ but some of y'all think they are pretty good. Is it worth the stop?

As far as chain BBQ restaurants go, I liked it. They have a decent menu and give decent portions. If you order ribs, they are the whole spares and not cut down STL style. I ordered the 3 meat combo and got brisket, hot links and turkey. The links were flavorful and hot, maybe a bit on the dry side. The brisket was good, but cut a little thin. The turkey was real good. Two sauces on the table, sweet original and habanero. You are probably talking about the location in Smyrna. If you stop, lets us know what you think.

as far as chain bbq restaurants go, i liked it. They have a decent menu and give decent portions. If you order ribs, they are the whole spares and not cut down stl style. I ordered the 3 meat combo and got brisket, hot links and turkey. The links were flavorful and hot, maybe a bit on the dry side. The brisket was good, but cut a little thin. The turkey was real good. Two sauces on the table, sweet original and habanero. You are probably talking about the location in smyrna. If you stop, lets us know what you think.

+1 ^^

By the way....if you stop at Jim n nicks...be prepared....it's super expensive for a barbecue restaurant. It is priced more like a steakhouse chain than a bbq chain.

I went back and read the source article on the T+L website. It was more of a slide show with comments. There were only 35 metropolitan cities in the running and they were from the top 35 travel destinations. Not the most scientific in poles. Nashville does have a growing "foodie" scene. Food trucks pop up all over the place. There are two BBQ festivals in Nashville, and one of them is tied to the CMA Festival. I think the average person would like what they find. For us that are more knowledgable, we might have to look further to find something that pleases us.

By the way....if you stop at Jim n nicks...be prepared....it's super expensive for a barbecue restaurant. It is priced more like a steakhouse chain than a bbq chain.

Two of my kids had the kids rib plate and I was shocked at how much they sent out. It was 3 or 4 bones off a full spare. My combo plate, my wife's half slab plate and the four kids meals was under $60 before tip. We all had water. Plus we had about four baskets of the sweet, cheesy, biscuit muffins. We took home two boxes of food. Had warmed up ribs for dinner the next night.

So, angryfish, what was your favorite places to eat Q in the Orlando area? I am still here and would like your recommendations. Thanks.

A bygone time.
Red's. The best bbq ribs and chicken around. Not sure if there in business any more.

Last edited:
Back