MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Sam_Wheat
Got Wood.

Default Gonna try pulled pork sandwiches ...

Hello everyone! Thank you all for the help you have giving me with my previous BBQ's!!! Here is my new project, which I understand is not a very difficult one but it's my first attempt.

I am going to make pulled pork sandwiches. I purchased 6.25 lbs of pork butt roast. I have it in a brine in the fridge as we speak. I had read that it will take up to 18 hours to smoke in my 18.5" WSM so I am preparing it for an over night smoke.

I recently read elsewhere it will take 1.5 hours per pound. So now I am looking at 9 hours of a smoke.

I need help!
Sam_Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

What temp are you planning to cook at?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
deepsouth

i pull mine when they are between 195-200 and double wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler with a beach towel over it for a couple hours and then pull the pork. go by temps rather than time.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Sam_Wheat
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
What temp are you planning to cook at?
Aiming for 200 to 225 degrees

Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Wheat View Post
i shoot for 250-260, but then again, i may be wrong and cooking too hot.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
smokinin614
Knows what a fatty is.

Usually smoke around 250-260ish. A good guess -ta-ment is 1.5hrs per pound, but when its done its done. There should be no pull on the thermometer when your checkn temps, usually around 195ish.

Good Luck & Take lots of Pics

Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Wheat View Post
Pork is very forgiving. Cook it at 250ish. At 200 - 225 you're looking at at least 1.5 hours per pound, but at 250 you'll be closer to an hour per pound. But, plan on a least two hours longer than you think. If it is done early you can wrap it in foil and then some towels and put it into a pre-heated cooler to rest. I try to give pork at least two hours rest but I have held butts for several hours with no problems.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Do you mind if I ask why your target temperature is in the 200-225 range? Thank you.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
gtr

I'm not sure what there is to be gained by cooking 200-225 degrees. I would kick the temps up as suggested already. RonL's pretty much got you covered up there.

I actually did my last butt at 325-350 and it turned out fanfarkingtastic - definitely gotta watch the bark, foil if necessary during the cook and allow for resting. It was a 7# bone in and got done in 5 or 6 hours with a couple hours rest after that. Sleep is good!

One thing to remember is butts are normally done within the 190-205 range (depends on the butt). Your cooking temp has to be significantly hotter than the target IT of the meat or else you won't get there in any kind of feasible time frame.

Good luck & don't forget the slaw!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Sam_Wheat
Got Wood.

Ok, I checked it throughout the night and all seemed well. This morning I check the water level, charcoal and internal temp of the butt. The internal temp of the butt was 185 and the temp inside the WSM was 220.

How do I raise the temp? I opened the bottom vents just now. Anything else?

I thought the butt should have a darkened/charred outer surface? Am I way off? Please advise!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
syndicate559
Full Fledged Farker

Opening the vents up will bring your temps up, as long as you still have sufficient fuel to burn. It looks like you're getting some good bark on there. It doesn't always have to be super dark. Because your temps are so low, the sugars in your rub probably just aren't turning as dark as what you see in a lot of pics.

Picking up on the temperature discussion, I've experimented with hot & fast cooks quite a bit over the last few months. Life is busy with kids, work, etc, so I'm always open to a time saver. I did a fundraiser a while back where I cooked 7 butts in my 22.5 WSM and did them 325-350. They got done MUCH quicker and turned out phenomenal. Good smoke ring, good smoke flavor, just as moist and juicy as ever. In other words, no one could tell the difference between those butts and the ones I've cooked at 275. Something to think about in the future and possibly give a try.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Pork is very forgiving. Cook it at 250ish. At 200 - 225 you're looking at at least 1.5 hours per pound, but at 250 you'll be closer to an hour per pound. But, plan on a least two hours longer than you think. If it is done early you can wrap it in foil and then some towels and put it into a pre-heated cooler to rest. I try to give pork at least two hours rest but I have held butts for several hours with no problems.
So that's why Phil's always smiling...

Looks good to me so far Sam Wheat! Agreed on the low temp/bark issue. You'll probably find a nice crunch to it still when it's done.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
Sam_Wheat
Got Wood.

Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully it tastes great.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Smoked
Full Fledged Farker

Is it smoking on the middle grate? Looks like you flipped it. Always keep the top vent open. Opening all 3 lower vents will increase your temp, opening and propping the door, will raise the temps even more. If the butt was on top, it would have developed more of a char/barky surface. Have not smoked a butt on the middle grate yet.

Do you have a remote thermometer for internal temps on the meat?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I'm curious as to why you brined a pork butt?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote