MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
DannyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Default School Barbecue Help

I posted this in Q-talk and didn't get much of a response. I really need help estimating the amount of meat we will need for a school barbecue coming up in about a month. We anticipate about 500 folks, however, only 250 are adults. It's an elementary school, so we will be doing burgers and hot dogs for the kids.

We will be serving leg quaters and pulled pork. I need some help estimating the total amounts of each to serve the 250 adults. Any suggestions?
DannyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
I posted this in Q-talk and didn't get much of a response. I really need help estimating the amount of meat we will need for a school barbecue coming up in about a month. We anticipate about 500 folks, however, only 250 are adults. It's an elementary school, so we will be doing burgers and hot dogs for the kids.

We will be serving leg quaters and pulled pork. I need some help estimating the total amounts of each to serve the 250 adults. Any suggestions?
First a suggestion - Personally, I would do thighs (or boneless, skinless thighs) to save room, cost, and be more portion appropriate. Also, you will get surprised by how many parents fix their kids a plate from the "adults buffet" vs. the kids burgers and dogs - May want to use a ticket system (adult items vs. kids dogs or burgers) to better control servings, and give you a better idea up front on count. I would gently press the folks running the BBQ to provide a reasonable firm count of guests and choices, unless all the supplies are being donated, and this is a non paying event.

As for amount to cook, I would do 250 thighs, and 130 lbs of pork (Uncooked). Burgers and dogs, I would work on getting a firmer count - Not every child will eat both, and some will, given the chance. Side dishes would depend on amount being charged, etc. Best of luck!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

You will minimally need 62.5 lbs. (1/4 lb. burgers = 250 sammies) of beef and a hot dog per.

Leg quarters + 1 per and 125.00 lbs. of raw pork = 62.50 of cooked pork = 250 pork sammies.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
DannyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the replies guys. We're going with quarters because they will be donated. I'm working on the pork donation tomorrow. We're getting free beans as well. Any thoughts on how much I should ask for?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Bigmista

Question to ask first. Will the people be able to get one meat or the other or can the get both meats. Next ask if they can pass thru the line more than once.

Maybe consider a separate line for the kids. From my experience, some adults will take a hamburger and/or hot dog and throw off your count.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
DannyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the reply Mista! Both meats should be available. It's supposed to be one pass and dogs and burgers for kids only.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

I would make 250 chicken quarters and as above 130 pounds(raw) of pulled pork. Since you are serving I would put one piece of chicken and a sammie on each adult plate and a hamburger and hotdog on each kids plate. Easy peasy. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Portion control will be key to making sure everyone gets fed. It's probably not a bad idea to have some "trained" volunteers dishing up the meat for the guests. It can be as simple as having the guests receiving their plate with the meat and sammy already on it. I cook at a church function each year and we have volunteers staffing the buffet line after a quick orientation to the proper portion size. It works well for us.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook at my son's school's fair every year(sept. 25th this year). we do around 130 lb of uncooked pork and sell around 300 sammies. I have not runn out in the three years i have done this and only have about 5 lb left over

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I would suggest doing only one meat and maybe two at most. I have cooked for my daughter's school carnival for the last two years. Except there already are other vendors there. I just happen to donate all the proceeds. For us, it's Tri-tip Sandwiches. 6oz sammy & chips for $6. Half sammy & chips $4.00. The other vendors served hamburgers, fries, pizza, ice cream...etc. This was a slow year, but I still donated $1,100 from sales. Everyone else was in the $200 range.

Diamond Plate FAT 50 Ultra
200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
2 55-Gal Vertical Barrels
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!
TOPS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
chambersuac

I am no expert or professional, as the ones above me are, but I would just add - it's better to have too much food than to run out. You can always freeze left overs.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Leftover bbq can also be sold by the pound for a set price, especially if this is a fund raiser. I've seen people buy extra to take home after the serving line closes. have a scale handy or "eyeball" icecream scoops into a styro box after weighing a couple. good luck.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote