rookie question

armor

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
1st cook on new UDS. 80 degrees outside with steady breeze. Cut lip off top of drum (good cut) for weber kettle to fit. Using Royal Oak, firebox is 18" weber coal grate with expanded metal, 2'' below, 10 inch above. Four 3/4" nipples with one ball valve. Lit coal with weed burner, let it get to 225 and sit there for about 20 min., added a couple pieces of hickory chunks, put my shoulder in and for the 1st hour sat at 225 (maverick gauge) then temps took off up to 350 plus in a matter of minutes. I pulled the shoulder off waiting for temps to drop then I will start again. Should I have let it burn wide open for a while and then shut it down and wait for temps to drop and stablize? Yester day on test burn I had hot temps for a couple of hours then I got it down and it sat 225-225 until midnight before I shut it down (9 hrs.)

You should add the meat before it gets up to 225 that way if it spikes it will end around 250 and settle down. Try adding your chunks when you first start the coals.

Never let it hit burn wide open or you will lose all control . Close off all the vents and wait for it to settle down. Is your lid a tight fit?

You should only need to have one 3/4 hole open and the ball valve about half way to run 225 or so. Sounds like you have to much intake if they are all open when you hit those temps.

Mine ran at 230* or so on my test and food run last weekend. I had one intake all the way open and a second one at about a 1/3 open and never had to touch her.
Kind of sounds like your getting extra air in. I brazed all my intakes in and have 8- 1/2 holes in the top of the lid. I haven't tried the kettle lid yet. Did you have the vent on the lid all the way open?

I am new to the UDS also, going to have my second cook tomorrow....hope everything goes as well as the first.

Ken

my intakes are wlded so I guess I am getting air around the weber lid. I just made a gasket out of aluminum foil for a quick fix I hope. I have a 2nd drum waiting to be finished. I won't cut the lip off of this one. Yesterday no problem but today can't get it below 350 with everything shut down so it has to be the lid. I was really excited this morning now I'm just looking for a beer. Hope this gasket works, Got this shoulder just sitting waiting.

Have any pictures? What are you using for intakes?

On your next drum try only cutting two intakes @ 3/4 then after your trial run and first cook decide if you need anymore. I don't thnk you will but it's better to start with the least amount of problem places.

I will get some pictures up soon. A friend has my digital camera. Intakes are 3/4 inch nipples. One with ball valve and others are capped. Aluminum foil crimped over edge of barrel works! Gives me a tight seal. I definately do not need 4 3/4 " inlets, you are right about that. My next drum already has 4 nips welded in place but on my third and there will be a third I will use your suggestions. Man I wasted a lot of time today. Yesterday on my test burn there was no wind so I guess the loose fit didn't matter that much but today was a different story. Thanks for the suggestions. I will introduce myself with some pics later this week.

You should add the meat before it gets up to 225 that way if it spikes it will end around 250 and settle down. Try adding your chunks when you first start the coals.

Never let it hit burn wide open or you will lose all control . Close off all the vents and wait for it to settle down. Is your lid a tight fit?

You should only need to have one 3/4 hole open and the ball valve about half way to run 225 or so. Sounds like you have to much intake if they are all open when you hit those temps.

That is excellent advice, for most all cookers, drums included. With any long burn cooker like a ceramic, WSM's or a drum you have plenty of time for the initial smoke to settle down a little before adding the meat.

On my Eggs I cut away a few crossbars so I can drop smaller splits into the coals when cooking raised direct. On my drums, I bought the Weber grates with the hinged edges. I can lift and drop wood into the basket if needed.

DSC02395.jpg

Back