poppers (and other aliases...)

SmokinRoo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was last in the states about 5 years ago and couldnt get enough of what i was told were called 'poppers' and I've noticed that these feature pretty regularly here.
the ones i had were crumbed and deep fried but you guys seem to wrap 'em in bacon and smoke 'em - which sounds just as good, if not better.
can anyone give me any tips as to how to prepare, alternative fillings, cooker settings....
Now all I have to do is find out if I can get a hold of fresh jalopenos.....

thanks for that - what does ABT stand for?
It stands for atomic buffalo turds. It is hard to make a bad one. Just halve some jalapenos fill with cream cheese (or what ever kind you want) put some kind of meat and wrap with bacon. If you use little smokie sausages or another meat that is already cooked all you have to do is smoke it until the bacon is done. Usually an hour or so depending on how hot the cooker is.

Simple ABT's

Rack's are helpful....remove top and clean out seed's and vein's, fill with softened cream cheese with your favorite rub mixed in

wrap top with a half piece of bacon and toothpick

Smoke until bacon is the way you like it!! Enjoy:mrgreen:

For my filling, I crumble a fatty and mix it with a honey nut cream cheese. What does not fit back in the peppers goes great on crackers.

When cutting the Jalapeño in half how do you cook them so the cheese doesn't run out? The first time I made ABTs this was a real problem for me so what I have done is hollow out the jalapeño and stuff. This would be fine if it weren't so time consuming to fill the pepper this way.

When cutting the Jalapeño in half how do you cook them so the cheese doesn't run out? The first time I made ABTs this was a real problem for me so what I have done is hollow out the jalapeño and stuff. This would be fine if it weren't so time consuming to fill the pepper this way.

Wrap them tight with the bacon and set them on the grate so the slit is parallel to the grate...the cheese stays in.:p

JD

Abt

To fill whole somebody came up with the idea of a jerky gun you can get at Wally world or make sure the cheese is at room temp. and pipe it in with a normal sandwich bag with the corner cliped

I cut the top off, core them and stuff them w/ crab dip,cream cheese, diced Canadian bacon and 4 blend Mexican cheese then top w/ bacon. If you don't have a chili rack, use an aluminum muffin pan upside down and cut out holes on the bottom. Works good. Cook 'till the bacon is done.

Be sure to wear gloves when handling the peppers.....and wash your hands real good....or your Johnson will let you know your forgot this tip when you go to take a leak!

If jalapenos are not available to you "down under", I'm sure seeds would be easy enough to send.

DSC00772.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back