MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
stargate823
On the road to being a farker

Default WSM as a UDS???

I'm sure that this question has been asked to death - but I'm looking for feedback for those who may have tried it. I currently have an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain. I measured the distance from the top of the charcoal ring to the top grate and its a decent amount less than 24". I'm planning on adding a 22" Smokey Mountain soon - so I cannot speak for it's height. My question is can a 22" WSM be used without anything between the grate and coals to replicate the pit flavor of a UDS? Is there enough distance there to do that? If not, maybe with a rotisserie ring expansion? Thanks for replies in advance...
stargate823 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I would think so.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

well...there's really only 1 way to find out, isn't there? let us know, and post some pics!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
stargate823

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
well...there's really only 1 way to find out, isn't there? let us know, and post some pics!

I plan on it - as soon as I get my 22 WSM. That will officially put me up to 5 cookers.... I wonder if "she" will notice?!?! LOL!

Old 05-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate823 View Post
I plan on it - as soon as I get my 22 WSM. That will officially put me up to 5 cookers.... I wonder if "she" will notice?!?! LOL!

She will probably notice. Women can count. They may have trouble telling one of your toys from another one but they Can count. Don't let her see all of them at the same time or in the same place. That's your only hope.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

have a 22 and have never thought of that. I was planning on doing some bb ribs and just might give it a try.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Just did that on my 18 last week with chicken. 12 drums on top rack, no water pan and running 325. Worked out good.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
stargate823

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
Just did that on my 18 last week with chicken. 12 drums on top rack, no water pan and running 325. Worked out good.

Chicken is a great test.... so far I've not been a fan of chicken low and slow. I might have to try that with my 18!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Another option is to build yourself a UDS. This way you've got yourself a genuine UDS and also have the option of running it like a WSM by installing a clay saucer. And in the process you can save yourself over $200. :)

EDIT: Ooops...I meant $300

Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
stargate823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Another option is to build yourself a UDS. This way you've got yourself a genuine UDS and also have the option of running it like a WSM by installing a clay saucer. And in the process you can save yourself over $200. :)
Unfortunately I have no economical way of picking up or transporting a drum otherwise I would build one. Since I'm buying the 22" wsm either way I was seeing if I could multitask. I think I may need to invest in a truck at some point. There were 2 gas Webers given away for free on Craigslist this weekend!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
cameraman
Babbling Farker

that's how I do chicks too -- works great
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
saxart
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Can somebody explain this thread to me, a newbie to the world of BBQ?

Just built a mini-UDS this past weekend. I bought the clay saucer, but have yet to use it. What is the difference between cooking with the saucer vs. without? I'm guessing the saucer just mitigates the temps so they don't swing as quickly between vent adjustments?

I guess I always thought of a WSM and a UDS to be pretty much the same thing, from a function standpoint until reading this thread, so now I"m "kerfused"!

Thanks!
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate823 View Post
5 cookers? You are making me feel a little better....

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
stargate823

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
5 cookers? You are making me feel a little better....
Added number 5 today - 2001 Smokey Joe from craigslist for $10 bucks! Although it's so small it doesn't really count.... right?