MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #31
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I think it should. Once it gets going, it's gonna love the sun and my folks have a few of their plants in full sun all day, and they do just fine. However, my plants are not as mauture as theirs and out grow their plants by almost double. I think a lot has to do with the fact that the area where my parents live was once river bed and has a THICK clay layer about 12 inches deep. Everything they grow has a hard time growing very big. So I think good drainage is key. Try this, plant some seeds in another place. Just make a tiny hole with something and drop in a few seeds. Water and watch.........I bet you they will take off. They grow anywhere.
My problem with pots or containers is I think I'm not watering to often, but I am, the roots rot on me. I've never had good luck with pots. For flowers yes, but veggies, no.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #32
dunga
Found some matches.

Dude, you need to dig a hole about 1' in diameter and 1-2 feet deep, mix the dirt with aged cow poop, not more than 10-15%, and plant the little farkers. I lived in the OC and spent a lot of time near you, the sooner you get them stared and going the better, it will be blazing there soon enough. Space them out about 2' on all sides and make a watering basin about 18" wide, put a 3'-4' tall stake in next to the root ball when you plant them, this will give you something to tie them as they grow. At first water them only when they need it, ie dry dirt, slightly wilted leaves etc, a lot plants are killed by over watering. Pick a spot with as much sun as your yard will allow, look for a spot with the most hours in the sun. When it is burning hot (particularly when windy), water as needed, you probably won't be able to over water them. Harvest and eat, just be careful with not to rub your eyes after cleaning the peppers.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #33
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Currently I am growing Japs, Serrano's, Anahiems, basil, and two types of tomatoes(I for forgot what kind).
All the advice here is good. When I see flowers, I fruits coming right behind.
The peppers are near and dear to my heart.
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #34
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
My problem with pots or containers is I think I'm not watering to often, but I am, the roots rot on me. I've never had good luck with pots. For flowers yes, but veggies, no.
That's Me! I water like mad and I wonder why everything dies. I even throw out the dirt when I start over thinking that I must have poisoned it from too much MiracleGro. The problem will be convincing my wife to stop watering so much too.

I'm going to build another raised bed or two just for the peppers. Then, I'm going to plant some near my little pond where they wont be picked and see if they can make it without any mothering. I think I'll also give the earth box automatic watering idea a shot too. Unfortunately I cant dig a whole and mix manure in it without making a raised bed. The gardeners will just run it over (like they do to my hose every year; and a few matchbox cars too).
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #35
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
Dude, you need to dig a hole about 1' in diameter and 1-2 feet deep, mix the dirt with aged cow poop, not more than 10-15%, and plant the little farkers. I lived in the OC and spent a lot of time near you, the sooner you get them stared and going the better, it will be blazing there soon enough. Space them out about 2' on all sides and make a watering basin about 18" wide, put a 3'-4' tall stake in next to the root ball when you plant them, this will give you something to tie them as they grow. At first water them only when they need it, ie dry dirt, slightly wilted leaves etc, a lot plants are killed by over watering. Pick a spot with as much sun as your yard will allow, look for a spot with the most hours in the sun. When it is burning hot (particularly when windy), water as needed, you probably won't be able to over water them. Harvest and eat, just be careful with not to rub your eyes after cleaning the peppers.
Or take a wiz... like I did today

My wife was probably wondering why I went to take a shower in the middle of the day with a large cold glass of milk in my hand.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #36
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

timely thread. I didn't have any success with peppers from seeds last year so have planted 3 jalapeno and 3 habanero plants a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to learning how to grow these so thanks for this thread.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #37
tpsmith63
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Tom Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82muchhomework View Post
Or take a wiz... like I did today

My wife was probably wondering why I went to take a shower in the middle of the day with a large cold glass of milk in my hand.
Don't do that when clearing brush either. Poison Ivy. , for days and days.

Tom

Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #38
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I found a pdf about DIY earthboxes.

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

Are your plans like these?
Mine are very similar to these but seem a little less work and look better. Girl things, if you know what I mean. I must say that the use of storage tubs looks like a good idea, and might be just a little less expensive.

Over all these plans look good.

I have one of mine in the works and will try to get some prons posted of how I did it and some of the working ones too. Not sure how long it will take but will try to do it today whilst I am watching my Salmon smoke.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #39
BobBrisket

To show you how well they grow and how little to no attention the Tepins need.......all of these little shoots are Tepin seedlings that cam up all by themselves. The plants drop so many pods that the seeds come up all on their own in the spring. I hafta till these over cause there's no way I could let them all grow. But this shows how easy to grow they are.

Here are the plants I have up front. The two in the front are the orginal ones I brought over from my dad's. They are under a Spanish Broom tree and up against the house. The ones in the back are ones that I then transplanted there. I use them as cover and they will get as high as half way up the windows, easily. This year I'm going to use some tomato cages on them so they grow "upward" a little more. They get so wide that they can choke off my maters and pepper plants. I think it should work to keep them in line a little more.

Here's one of the wild ones that's in the backyard....this one came out all on it's own from a bird dropping. This one has one of the thickest trunks on it, probably cause it's squeezing through the concrete and bricks. The leaves one this one are HUGE. It's going to be a good year for this one. Plus, as you can see, they are a really nice plant all on their own too. They make for great decorative bushes too.

This one is a two year old plant and another one the birds planted for me. It's off to a slow start but you can see a shoot off to the top left. In only two years, you can see how thick the trunk got. That's how I prune them back every late fall (November). These plants have a late growing season and will be producing late into fall.

Dave---Maybe we can turn your thread into the "Official 2010 Garden Thread" since it seems to be going in that direction anyway. One place where we can share tips, secrets, pics, and later on...........GARDEN PRON!!! Lemme know if you wouldn't mind a full HIJACK of your thread and I can add a label to your title. This way we won't have several threads about the same topic and have it all in one place.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #40
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Default Chef Jim's Plans

OK, here goes! I'm not real good at this so let me know if you think I forgot something.

First the things you need, some kind of a box. Mine are a little smaller than the original Earthbox so you can't put as much in them. I got the box at HD cause that's all I could find. The wife loves them so they must be good.

Notice the hole I drilled, it is placed at the height of the grate that will go in the box. Drill it after you have everything assembled.

Next is the guts. I used a thin sheet of black pvc, Whatever you can find. I drilled holes for drainage and cut a square out at the diagonal corners.

Then the same material for the top with two 2 in. keyholes for the plants. Three or four pieces
of 4 in. pvc pipe. For this box 1 1/4 wide and then cut in half. you will use this to support the bottom grate.

Next is piece of thinwall pipe 1 1/4, your fill pipe. Thin wall makes it easy to fill the reservoir.

Glue the pvc pieces to the bottom of the box. Just random to support the grate.

Now put the bottom grate in and gage where the top is and then drill the hole right at that level. Then insert the fill pipe in the same side as the hloe you just drilled. That's so you can see when water starts to come out and you can let go of the hose or what ever it is you art going to use to water it.

Next add potting soil almost to the top. At that point I mix in some vermiculite and cover with more soil.

Then make a trough in the soil for fertilizer and add some slow release stuff, then cover with dirt.

Now you should water the dirt from the top and add water in the reservoir till it runs out the hole.

You are now ready to plant whatever. I used the same pvc as in the grate for the top, but you can use anything. If you are in a colder climate use a black garbage bag, in warmer climates you might want to use white.

The purpose of the top cover is to keep out weeds etc I supose mulch would work also.

Some of the finished products. An original earthbox with a blueberry plant in the middle. Stuff around it is seeds planted for the next boxes. Pole beans and Cucumbers.

Tomatoes planted about 4 weeks ago.

Herbs in the kitchen window.

Zuccini from seed.

And peppers just started this week. Don't know if you can see it but there are pineapples on the outside.

And for whoever mentioned that they are hard to move, you're darn right, so I put them on a board with casters. Almost killed me when we had the freeze here in sunny Florida

Just add water.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #41
BobBrisket

I might hafta give those boxes a try! Gorgeous looking plants by the way.

Bob

Old 04-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #42
landarc

I do not think, I let the peppers get a true set of leave, or maybe two is better, then I soak the root ball, seperate the seedling and replant them all. I will only transplant up once before setting them out. I like to see at least two full sets of leaves on each plant. I harden off by puttint them outside in the shade for 1/2 days for a couple of days, then full days in shade for a few days, then all night for a couple days, total time is probably a week. I am just about ready to start hardening off my tomatoes and most of the peppers.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #43
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Bob, Hijack away. What ever you want to do.
Thanks for those pictures, really. Now I know what to look for. Until your pics I hadn't really ever seen one. Thanks.

CJ, Great tutorial! I think I'll give it a go on my next break from work.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #44
BobBrisket

Quote:
Bob, Hijack away. What ever you want to do.
Thanks for those pictures, really. Now I know what to look for. Until your pics I hadn't really ever seen one. Thanks.

CJ, Great tutorial! I think I'll give it a go on my next break from work.
Done. This should be FUN!! Great info in this thread. Let's keep in going.

Bob

Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #45
landarc

I wish tepin grew like weeds here, but, that is not the case.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote