MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #76
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
Please let me apologize if I have implied that I thought anyone was cheating, that is not my intent and am sorry if anything that I have said was interpreted so. I was just using the Rub example that had been previously posted, to make a counterpoint, I was in no way trying to say he is a cheat in any way shape or form. Sorry

I don't know how anyone can, any more than I think the guy putting caps on bottles rig a contest, but if Pepsi is running a contest to send someone to the Super Bowl not only is that guy ineligible, so is his whole family. Thats just how it is everywhere you look.
Google contest rules and let me know how many results you find that don't contain a phrase similar to the one I have posted. You aren't going to find many if any at all, organizations that allow directors, organizers, sponsor or officials paid or not to compete within their own organization, it just does not happen. The overwhelming vast majority go to great lengths to ensure that anyone even remotely involved with the parent organization in any way is excluded from competing.
Sean, again, these are volunteers you're talking about, not employees like Pepsi, NASCAR, etc. Show me where it says volunteers can't compete or enter contests.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #77
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I disagree with just about everyone here. I think that officials, organizers and sponsors should be barred from competing in contests that they have duties other than being a competitor.
I don't care what contest/raffle/sweepstakes whatever you "compete" in you usually will find wording such as " Employees of company X, its contest sponsor, advertising and promotional agencies and their respective affiliates and associates and such employees' immediate family members and persons with whom such employees are domiciled are excluded from this contest. ".
Its standard language in just about all contests, why is ours different? Would we allow Tony Stewart to be on the board of NASCAR or A-Rod be allowed to hold an office in the American League office? I don't think so.
If all of the things that everyone has said about any anonymity holds true why is there a rule about the judges staying away from teams? if the blind judging serves to keep sponsors, directors and organizers anonymous, why doesn't it work for the team a judge had breakfast with?
So to use the pepsi example... Pepsi is running the contest... KCBS (or FBA) or any of these organizations do not organize or run contests. they simply sanction them, and then provide oversite of the rules...A paid service. The organizers of each event, or the benefactor of the event (March of dimes, Rotary, K of C, etc)usually work together to run it. they are responsible for prizes, judges, scoring, etc. The KCBS board has no say at the contest level. they are selling sanctioning to the contest. they are paid by the event to provide the service. If anything they are there to protect the cooks and ensure that an event is living by the rules.

I think the fact here is that some of the best cooks happen to also be those that are most passionate about thier hobby, and support the boards of thier parent organizations. I think that is needed for the members... I also think that organizers and events control who thier judges, and support staff are, not KCBS... so there is not a conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Or some of the folks that have run the FBA are damn good cooks. What is more likely?
Hey Cracker only took RESERVE Grand, at the Royal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker View Post
O man all this time I was under the impression that I was FBA Vice-President 2008 and 2009. WTH am I spending all this time doing. I figured as long as I was an FBA officer I would continue to squeak out a win now and then…..and the pay is awesome!! Can you image the conflict that Reps must have…. President?, Vice-President? ETC? ETC? Who’s gonna win this week…What a CROCK

Let’s look at the facts 4 KCBS contests in FL 2 won by a FBA BOD, 1 won by a former FBA BOD. Then we move into GA. Then theirs the Royal! Perhaps the FBA BODs have the KCBS reps working for them as well.

You know the worst part of this thread is 90% of the guys chiming in have no idea how the process works and will never take the time to get involved and find out. ARM CHAIR SMOKERS…..

Please make a rule that would make it a conflict of interest then I’ll have an extra 15-20 hrs a week to run my own business. O wait I can’t do that because the people that do all the b;;tchin are too damn lazy to get involved.

I’m done here
Jimmy, I plan on coming to cook an FBA event, I would hope I get to cook against you, Tim, and Rub.

BTW - I am not sure where this got twisted up... but I have read through this thread twice, and I can't find where anyone accused Rub of anything. Tim actually used him as an example to prove the opposite. Scottie... go back and re-read.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #78
Plowboy

Andy, congrats on the Yankees making the series.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #79
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
WooHoo...Go Phillies!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #80
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Royals weren't gonna get there... Go Yankees!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #81
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
you should see him in his Eli Manning jersey......

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #82
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Phils up 2 to 0 Top of the 8th Bases loaded- Go Phils
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #83
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
you should see him in his Eli Manning jersey......
Heh..........heh. Now that is good....

Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #84
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't see any conflict of interest.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #85
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

This kinda sounds like a dead of Winter thread

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #86
mrwicks
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
Royals weren't gonna get there... Go Yankees!

Does the American Royal lose it's luster due to the fact it's named after the George Bretts ???

I think the OP has a right to question....may be the case that there is no impropriety happening....but he can question it.....integrity is supposed to be a part of every human beings makeup ....but as Plowboy so eloquently put it in another thread (maybe it was the joke forum)....we IFO (Illinois Folk) have had the past 2 Governors go to jail or have charges brought.....they were supposed to have integrity.....so it can happen...Im sure it would take more trouble than what its worth... (entry fee, Meat, Travel, Judge Bribes would surely eat up all profit) but it can happen...not trying to ruffle feathers......I'm Just Sayin!!!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #87
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
BTW - I am not sure where this got twisted up... but I have read through this thread twice, and I can't find where anyone accused Rub of anything. Tim actually used him as an example to prove the opposite. Scottie... go back and re-read.

Andy, I was going by initial comments that the original poster was making (for sure not from what Tim was saying).. About "winning all of the contests". No disrepspect to other FBA cooks, but that "assumption" by me was all about Rub and him also being on the BOD and being the President of the FBA. I've been wrong before and will no doubt be wrong again. But to me, that was about Rub. If not, I apologize. I'd hate to see a good guy like Rub being accused of any wrong doings...

FWIW I have now come to the conclusion that this was just a bunch of mud slinging by the uninformed...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #88
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker View Post
Of course they could.
Just because you're on a BOD with someone doesn't mean they're all friends.
Pointing that out puts it all in perspective. If it were to happen it could happen with anyone regardless of relationship or title. That fact makes the whole idea even more ludicrious then first thought. Thanks Mike!

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #89
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Damn, I guess the gig is up. Lol...

First and most importantly to me, a heart felt "Thank You" to everyone who spoke on my behalf and defended me from any real or perceived slights. I am blessed to have such great friends - I truly mean that.

Chainsmoker, there's not much I can say that hasn't already been pointed out here. There is no wrongdoing of any kind happening within our BOD or Reps, period. If I was just successful within the FBA confines, I could see where it could look fishy. But I have been fortunate enough to have some success in KCBS as well, and the BOTB, both of which are outside the FBA realm.

You have to understand that 99.9% of BBQ folks are not like most typical folks. Unlike many in business you read about in the news these days, we still live our lives based on honesty, integrity, our word, and a handshake. If you come out and join us for some cookoffs you will quickly see this for yourself. I hope you do, and I invite you by my place for a cold one in Bartow. If you are the type who is always leery of people and expect the worst, then BBQ contests may not be for you. Either way I hope you come by and say hi.

I'm at the BOTB now and forgot my power cord for my laptop, so hopefully my battery will last a little while...
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #90
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

stir pot mod

We know what you like to do

^^ This would make a MUCH better avatar than what you have.

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote