Need some brisket buying advice

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Having a heck of time here in pulled pork country getting a good source of packer briskets. Thing is, I have a Costco membership, so I'm really not interested in getting a second membership to Sams. Costco here only sells flats. I got all excited when I called them this week asking about packers and they said they have them in cryovac in the back, I just need to ask. Went by tonight and they are just large flats in a cryovac, not a full packer.

The superwalmart near me has full packers for $1.79, but they are select. I've smoked them a couple of times and they aren't horrible.

There is a butcher near me that has Certified Angus Beef packers (so he tells me, haven't been there) at $2.99 a pound.

There is a Restaurant Depot about 45 minutes from my house, but I don't have a business license, although I could probably get a one day pass. Dunno how much they are and the quality, but would guess they are choice.

So of those three choices (or any other advice for finding packers in Atlanta area) what do you think is my best option? A 14 lb. CAB packer at the butcher is going to run $42.00, compared to $25.00 for the select at walmart. Is CAB that much better? Or should I do what I can to get into RD and try theirs?
I've never smoked a CAB brisket or an RD brisket, so any help is appreciated.

DSC07772b-2.jpg

Well, choice is better than select. The market is getting saturated with the name Angus. It doesn't mean it's certified Angus. My Sam's has choice Angus, although it's not CAB. The price for that is 1.88 a pound. This 14# one was $26.

Any chance you can get a one day pass there? You could get two and come out ahead...

The packers at the butcher are CAB, he was pretty clear on the phone. Having never smoked a CAB brisket, not sure if it is worth the extra price. I am leaning towards getting the one day pass at RD, assuming I can. I've also had a fellow Georgia brethren offer to let me borrow his membership card.

I would work some angle to find out if the RD has choice packers first. The restaurant places around here are usually pretty good at stocking quality meat.

I get mine from RD. I am happy with them. I usually have to sort through a bunch until I find one that will fold over well. It's about the only place around me where I can find a full packer cut. Can't beat the prices.

If you are thinking about switching to a SAM's membership to get briskets, better talk to them first. My SAM's only carries flats.

If you can get a pass to rd you should give it a try. Take a cooler.
I think sams will give you a visitor pass also.
I have found choice packers at wally world also.
Where ever you go, just ask for some help. Most butchers enjoy taking the time to help.
jon

Restaurant Depot has by far the best, biggest, most flavorable briskets I have found in my area. The have certified angus packers. I picked one up last weekend (13 lbs), left a 15 lb'er behind. Highly recommended and was only $1.79/lb). They also had St. Louis trimmed spares. I'm letting my Costco and Sam's club expire now that I've found them.

Any tips on getting a membership to RD if you don't have business license?

We received our membership for free for volunteering to cook in "BBQ for the Troops" for the National Guard members deploying to Iraq in our area.

I'd check with them directly to see how you might get a membership. There were lots of people and families there. I find it hard to believe that all were in the restaurant business.

Just called the RD in my area, and they said just to show up and ask for a day pass, I didn't need a business license. Guess that solves that! :-D

Funny how often just asking works out. At least that is what all those women told me.

And take a winter coat! Unlike your local supermarket you are in a big refrigerator to select the meat.

First time we went we were being choosy about our competition meat and spent about 30 mins. picking it out.

I had icicles hanging from my nose by the time we were done!

Uncle Bud

And take a winter coat! Unlike your local supermarket you are in a big refrigerator to select the meat.

First time we went we were being choosy about our competition meat and spent about 30 mins. picking it out.

I had icicles hanging from my nose by the time we were done!

Uncle Bud

that is some very good advice, our's just started to have the orange loaner coats for people to use.

RD will let you ask to see a couple of cases of brisket to sort thou, just ask, I believe they have the best selection anywhere around, and a great price.

Glad you posted this thread. I'm planning on smoking a few up this weekend and had the same questions

Back