MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Ring Sausages for Polar Swine

Stuffed some sausages for HoDeDo's Polar Swine II contest this weekend. Doorbusters (Dustin) is going to cook and hang out with Audrey and me. I hate sausage categories at comp, so we'll see how this works. Will do some fatties as a backup. Got to give my stuffer attachment a workout at least.

I forgot how messy stuffing sausages is. Farking meat everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ringsausage 002 (Medium).jpg (75.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg ringsausage 003 (Medium).jpg (32.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg ringsausage 006 (Medium).jpg (71.5 KB, 87 views)

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Looks like you did pretty good...I got to try that someday.

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
swamprb

Todd- What speed do you use with the stuffer attachment? Did you grind and add spices and grind again? I read that somewere but it don't work too good with the KA! I kept thinking I would need 3 hands to use the stuffer and am thinking of buying a press instead.
Those rings look mighty fine!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb
Todd- What speed do you use with the stuffer attachment? Did you grind and add spices and grind again? I read that somewere but it don't work too good with the KA! I kept thinking I would need 3 hands to use the stuffer and am thinking of buying a press instead.
Those rings look mighty fine!
Three hands is right!!! If I was going to do more of this, a better tool would be ideal. I used the second speed out of 10. I didn't grind for this. Used bulk sausage to start with. Just mixed and stuffed. Still enough work for me, though.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Good lookin rings man. Looks like I got my work cut out for me!!

Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Stuffed some sausages for HoDeDo's Polar Swine II contest this weekend. Doorbusters (Dustin) is going to cook and hang out with Audrey and me.
Looks like Kim and Amy (Matt's wife/my sis) will be out at some point on Sat. to hang with the girls. (Ashley, 13 mos, and Kaylin & Lauren) I told Kim that Audrey would be out there as well.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo
Looks like Kim and Amy (Matt's wife/my sis) will be out at some point on Sat. to hang with the girls. (Ashley, 13 mos, and Kaylin & Lauren) I told Kim that Audrey would be out there as well.
I'll load up the camper with chick flicks and wine coolers. They can hang there.

Depending on when Dustin heads back home, I may need help getting my cooker back to KC. I'll figure that out when the time comes. Worst case is I have to go back for it (or the camper actually) or the cooker makes part of the way and ends up in someone's driveway for a few hours on Sunday. This is going to be a 2 hour 15 min drive according to Google Maps. All interstate at least.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Guys - Let's try to get this back on track about sausage.. Personal arrangements can be made through PM... Thanks !!!.. MilitantSquatter

Sausage looks real good though... Good Luck with it !!!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

OK - I'll admit it . . . I've never used sausage casings before.

And considering there are HUNDREDS of views to tens of posts, I'll bethca that there are other folks who've never used casings before - just like me!

Where do you find casings for sausage? I find NONE at my local grocery stores.

Maybe I should check with the Carnicerita I pass every day on my way to and from work in East Topeka.

/Brother Dave
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ
OK - I'll admit it . . . I've never used sausage casings before. And considering there are HUNDREDS of views to tens of posts, I'll bethca that there are other folks who've never used casings before - just like me! Where do you find casings for sausage? I find NONE at my local grocery stores. Maybe I should check with the Carnicerita I pass every day on my way to and from work in East Topeka.
/Brother Dave
Actually a lot of supermarkets have them, they just are in the back. Check with the meatcutters. Other good sources are sportsman's stores that have a outdoor section. (some packaging does not require refrigeration) If you have actual meat markets or wild game processors, they almost always carry them but they may have bags or tubs that are for 100 pounds of sausage. The 100# bags have the longest casings, so you may only need to buy 2 or 3 because they may be 10' or longer. If you strike out locally, you will have to buy them mail order.

Some are packed in salt and others are in solution .... I guess everyone has their favorites but all you really need to do is rinse in fresh water until they are soft, then put one end over a faucet (like making a water balloon) and flush out the inside. You let them rest in fresh water while you are getting everything set up. Out west, this brand is everywhere. This 8 ounce bag is good for 25 or 30 pounds.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I saw a sausage show on the food network. They made all kinds with different combinations of meats, cheeses, and vegetables. I want a stuffer.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Plowboy

I got my casings at Cabela's.