MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #4876
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
No. Any tools used for the build, including the aforementioned torch set, a new SawZall, a Milwaukee drill, an HVLP painting system, a pressure washer, a sand blaster, a 250 amp Miller MIG welder, a lathe, and a Bridgeport milling machine are all things the average homeowner needs anyway, and should in no way be applied towards the price of the UDS.
You forgot the plasma cutter and the air compressor for the HVLP gun as well as a large assortment of air tools, nibbler, grinder, drills, etc.

As for this talk about using a diffuser, if the air intake is from the bottom like mine, it keeps hot coals from falling out; in addition to distributing the intake air.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.

Last edited by Mark; 02-26-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #4877
dubster
Got Wood.

New to the thread, and just thought i would posa few pics of my build and first cook. completed over the week end. By the way, this thing is a loooooooong read, but worth it!

Last edited by dubster; 02-28-2010 at 08:30 PM..
dubster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #4878
docb64
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Pallets

Hello and let me say this is my first post, I just built a UDS over this past weekend and I am getting ready to do the first big burn it this thing. Without going back through all 326 pages what would you guys estimate the number of regular size pallets I should get to do the burn. I got a hit on some and told them to hold 10 for me, will that be enough? Thanks and again this is a great site. Chief
docb64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #4879
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Should do the job.....^^^^^^^

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #4880
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Dubster- that looks like the perfect build. Some good eating there too!
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #4881
hath
On the road to being a farker

Here is a pic of my build, I know I posted it in a different thread a few days ago but never did here. This thread is where it all started for me... so thanks everyone.

The one of the left was the first one I build... within a week I was cooking for enough That I had to make another.

Thanks again for all the help and Info.
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #4882
dubster
Got Wood.

Thanks. Good food so far, however i still need to work on temp control!
dubster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #4883
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by docb64 View Post
Hello and let me say this is my first post, I just built a UDS over this past weekend and I am getting ready to do the first big burn it this thing. Without going back through all 326 pages what would you guys estimate the number of regular size pallets I should get to do the burn. I got a hit on some and told them to hold 10 for me, will that be enough? Thanks and again this is a great site. Chief
I used 3 pallets and about 5 pieces of split oak. I would make sure the pallets were not chemically treated for overseas shipments. jmo
my drum held mineral oil from a bakery.
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #4884
AUCE98
Found some matches.

I was on my way back from Memphis to Atlanta today and stopped at a Farmer Co-op and found an open top food grade barrel for $20. It looks like it has a liner in it, like a dark rust brown color. Never the less I can't say how excited I am to put one together.
AUCE98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #4885
jednalf
Knows what a fatty is.

Basket weber 18.5 coal grill wrap expanded metal

Colman firepit top welded on top of lid

custom flame job
Ready to go sponsored by Bill's Gambling Hall & Saloon ready for first cook this weekend how do i go about seasoning? can, should I eat the food the first cook? Anybody else have the damn needle fall off the thermo?

Last edited by jednalf; 02-03-2010 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: add
jednalf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #4886
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

Default Donor Drum Lid

Thanks for the response on the making of a donor drum lid.

Now it looks like i gotta buy an anvil.

Unless someone has a better idea, I really hope so, anvils are $60 at harbor freight.

I was wondering if anyone had pit an inner rim around the donor lid to make it fit and seal. Just a thought.

I was in sheet metal job shops for about 15 years, but, alas no brake, no shear, no 1/2 million 32 die cnc punch press now if I had access to one the old shops..., well it wouldn't be a UDS then would it, it would be art.

Anyway, I'm looking to getting around to making two or more of these.

I do have another question.

I've been cooking using LP on an Smokey Mountain smoker for the last couple of years, so i'm not familiar with charcoal either lump or brickette.
I've seen postings that have raised the problems of too much moisture in the charcoal wreaking havock on uneven burns.

Here's the question .... ( I know some of you are glad I finally got there)
If it's stored in the garage or even an extra drum with a lid could you still end up with a moisture problem?
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #4887
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Default Anvil or not

Well botherbd, I actually did not use an anvil on the first top I beat up. A cut off piece of wood like a 2x8 worked well. 3/4" plywood would work also. Just laid it on a cement step, knelt down and banged away. Worked fine. On the second one, I put a chunk of
1 1/2" thick steel on the work bench and pounded on that. Worked well but made a lot more noise. No need to buy an anvil, the wood will work as a base and result in softer noises too!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #4888
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

jednalf
just rub down the inside with bacon to season. I rubbed mine and thru in a fatty just for good measure. I guess it was fit to eat, I'm still here to post about it?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #4889
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Default Anvil or not

Well botherbd, I actually did not use an anvil on the first top I beat up. A cut off piece of wood like a 2x8 worked well. 3/4" plywood would work also. Just laid it on a cement step, knelt down and banged away. Worked fine. On the second one, I put a chunk of
1 1/2" thick steel on the work bench and pounded on that. Worked well but made a lot more noise. No need to buy an anvil, the wood will work as a base and result in softer noises too!

As to the moisture thing. I use Wicked Good Lump and have for years. It's kept in an enclosed but unheated space under my living room. No problems yet. I've heard briquettes can absorb moisture from the air and then won't burn well. If they get rained on and really get wet, I think they may just fall apart. Don't really know though. If you keep the charcoal in a tight container all should be well.

Sorry about the semi-double post.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #4890
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

i completed my first UDS last night(it happened trust me). I bought a cheap 22.5" grill grate from menards. It has a shiney black coating on it, do i need to burn that off before i cook on it.
devious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker