MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Default Deep Frying a Turkey

Ok, I am taking the plunge this year, I just bought my Turkey fryer, here is the question. Do I brine the bird or do I inject ? My wife actually thought we could brine it in a buttermilk mixture ?? Anybody know of such an animal ?? I am sure this subject has been beaten to death, if on of the mods could point me in the right direction I would be forever grateful!!

Thanks!!

Mike
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I inject with a marinade pretty much of strained italian dressing, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I brine when I smoke a turkey.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I always inject my fried turkeys. I like a cajun butter type injection...I usually buy a jar along with an injector. Tony Chachari's is one brand...there are others and I haven't found a nasty one yet. If you rub the bird get under the skin - otherwise, it just boils off.

Oh yeah, make sure the sucker is really and truly defrosted!! I get it defrosted, inject, rub, and then put back in the fridge, uncovered, usually overnight, (I have a spare refrigerator) to allow the skin the dry out.

Good luck.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Check the packaging

If its frozen, it has about a 103% chance that it says "packaged in a solution of X%" where X is the amount of sodium in the water.

This is already sitting in a brine. To re-brine, is overkill

Good luck!!

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Plowboy

Fresh turkeys are a nice option. No hassle with defrosting.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Also got real good results withe the Tony Chachere's Cajun Butter. The syringe & needle that came with the Cajun Butter is kinda wimpy but i had a big one that came with the turkey fryer that worked a lot better.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
Plowboy

Default Turkey Frying Tips

Beyond the rub and injection, here are some of my best turkey frying tips that you won't find in the instruction book.

1) Know how much oil - You need to know how much oil to have hot and ready in the pot before you dunk the turkey. How much will cover your bird? The instruction book will tell you to put the turkey into the dry pot and fill with water until it covers the bird. Remove the bird and the remaining water is the amount of oil you'll need to start.

What the instructions don't tell you is that cool water and hot oil have different volumes. Cold oil will cover your bird. Hot oil will expand and could flow over your pot when you drop the bird in. I learned this the hard way on my very first fried turkey. Used the right amount of oil based on the intruction technique, but had a huge mess when I put a large bird into the pot with the hot, expanded oil. When you use the water trick, don't completely cover the bird. Leave yourself a couple inches or more from the top of the bird.

2) Oil will go everywhere - Tired of the oil stains in the driveway, we now start out turkey frys with a bag of kitty litter. The whole bag of kitty litter is dumped on the driveway in a circle with a 3 foot diameter. The fryer goes in the center. Oil that splatters goes on the kitty litter and is absorbed. When it is time to clean up, simply sweep up the kitty litter into the trash.

3) Turkey Frying is an outdoor sport - Every year some idiot decides to fry his turkey in his basement or in the garage. He usually is looking for a new place to live the next day... if he lives through the fire.

4) Give the pot a wash - You didn't hear this from me, but a car wash is a great way to get your pot clean again. Watch for splatter with the high pressure sprayer.

These are my turkey frying tips that aren't in the instruction book. A word of caution is that there is a fine line between undercooked bird and over cooked bird. Watch your oil temp and times according to the instruction book and you'll do fine. Keep a meat thermometer on hand to temp that thigh and breast when you think it is ready. Don't keep a probe in the meat while in the fryer: bad, bad idea.

Any other tips from the Brethren?

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72
Ok, I am taking the plunge this year, I just bought my Turkey fryer, here is the question. Do I brine the bird or do I inject ? My wife actually thought we could brine it in a buttermilk mixture ?? Anybody know of such an animal ?? I am sure this subject has been beaten to death, if on of the mods could point me in the right direction I would be forever grateful!!

Thanks!!

Mike
Mike I have always brined the turkey, just remember when you make holes in the turkey, which will do injecting it, you will have some escape during the frying process.
Myself, I dont care for the pockets of seasoning here and there as a result of the injecting process. To each his own, just remember to dry the turkeyafter the brine.
Fried turkey is awesome, I did it for years, but in my humble opinion, it cant even touch a good smoked turkey

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2006, 12:54 AM   #9
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

definitly make sure u dont get too much oil in the pot. done that the last 2 years think id have learned my lesson. i inject mine with tony chichrowhateverhisnameis, cajun butter, turns out pretty good.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #10
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

When we fry turkeys, Andy makes an injection. It is very spicy and stinks up the house for about a week. But....It gives the turkey wonderful flavor. It is only really spicy if you get the slice of turkey at an injection site.

If any one is interested just PM me or Andy (HoDeDo).

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
roknrandy
Full Fledged Farker

I'm doing 3 again this year and I always inject and brine (brine with salt brown sugar and pepper corns), Do a search and you will find tons of threads about this.

[COLOR=#ff0000]WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.[/COLOR]

one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bootle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.
roknrandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Post #6 in the Roadmap has all you need, I beleive

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818

Sadly, this will be the first year of no frying. Not enough people. Only 6 this year, so we're just using the WSM.

I guess its safe to empty out the oil from last years cook.

<yikes!>

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #13
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Todd has some good stuff in his post.

My dad proved that there's always one more thing that can be done wrong. We fried our birds 3 years ago (we've done it before and since, too). It was raining a bit, and he wanted to ensure the temp stayed right, so he put the thermo in the hole in the top of the pot lid. Well, that caused the pressure to build up enough that the oil boiled over, and we had a 10 foot flame for part of a second until I shut off the gas... Fortunately not under the deck!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
Todd has some good stuff in his post.

My dad proved that there's always one more thing that can be done wrong. We fried our birds 3 years ago (we've done it before and since, too). It was raining a bit, and he wanted to ensure the temp stayed right, so he put the thermo in the hole in the top of the pot lid. Well, that caused the pressure to build up enough that the oil boiled over, and we had a 10 foot flame for part of a second until I shut off the gas... Fortunately not under the deck!
You know turkey stories like yours usually make the evening news

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossmanbbq
You know turkey stories like yours usually make the evening news
This is why men should do the turkey frying... or is it why women should?

Bossmanbbq, you got a pic of that Mother of all Turkey Fryers?