• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Now I see why Johnny Trigg says he doesn't eat his comp ribs.

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was watching the travel channel this weekend and they had a tour of some bbq regions by state and one was Tennessee and the Memphis in May BBQ event. Almost every shot shown of teams preparing ribs absolutely caked on brown sugar, honey, butter or all of the above.

I looked at that and knew without having to taste it. There's NO WAY I could eat those ribs. I understand the "judges only getting one bite" thought process and I agree. But as a general spectator there's no way someone could actually taste much of the meat on many of the ribs I saw. I guess that is the difference in competition ribs and backyard ribs.

Next thing you know they'll be stuffing chicken into muffin tins and smothering them with squeezable Parkay...

I know I know!!! Let's call it cupcake chicken!

I watched one team literally take a bottle of butter, turn it up and with two hands squeeze a chit load of butter on top of the gobs of brown sugar that was already on top of it.

Hey, you have to cook what the judges are looking for!:thumb:

Oh I agree. I'm not saying anything is "wrong" about it. I'm just saying from a common backyard viewpoint there's no way I would be able to eat more than one of those ribs without becoming an instant diabetic. But I totally agree. You cook what the judges like.

I tried making some ribs with all that honey and sugar, and they just didn't taste right. KC masterpiece alone is too sweet for me, and sweet baby ray's (less sweet than KC) almost is as well.

Oh I agree. I'm not saying anything is "wrong" about it. I'm just saying from a common backyard viewpoint there's no way I would be able to eat more than one of those ribs without becoming an instant diabetic. But I totally agree. You cook what the judges like.

FWIW, I don't eat that chit either! We give the leftovers to the local shelter.

FWIW, I am a judge and a sometimes competitor. I am not a fan of the candy meat that gets turned in and hope that the fad fades away soon. My ribs have never won, got some calls though, and I do not do them really sweet. A little sweet with some back heat is what works for me.

Trying to educate them one at a time.

I eat my comp ribs at home quite often, and I am not obese. I don't always feel like that much flavor overload, but usually when people want to try my food, they want to try what I turn in at comp, and everybody loves them.

I eat my comp ribs at home quite often, and I am not obese. I don't always feel like that much flavor overload, but usually when people want to try my food, they want to try what I turn in at comp, and everybody loves them.
Whenever anyone asks me to cook for them, they always want the comp treatment and rave about it so everyone must not think comp meat is way too sweet. Also, when I cook at home it generally is to practice a new comp recipe so I can say I don't mind the sweetness. It is Kansas City style after all.

I would prefer it if the judges wanted ribs and pork another way because it would be much easier on us if we didn't have to do all that stuff, but they don't. I have tried recipes that are different but every time I do, we get slammed on score. Don't have to hit me over the head twice. We cook what the judges want.

Back