MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
isuhunter
Full Fledged Farker

Default Venison steaks

Father inlaw gave me some venison steaks...

What suggestions do you guys have for them?
isuhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll be watching, I need some good recipes. I still have 50 lbs in the deep freeze and the wife & kids aren't in love with the natural flavor

Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to cook venison hot and fast over a nice bed of blazing coals. A light coating of olive oil or canola. A liberal amount of fresh cracked pepper and some sea salt. I like to sear it and cook to an internal of about 130. Rest ten minutes under a foil tent for juices to redistribute and serve it up. Another treat would be to put a pat or two of butter on the steak as you are resting it. It is simple but effective for my palate.
Grain Belt is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

One of my many= Pressure cook and shred it, make gravy with stock, make shepards pie.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
FromthePitBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Lumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
I like to cook venison hot and fast over a nice bed of blazing coals. A light coating of olive oil or canola. A liberal amount of fresh cracked pepper and some sea salt. I like to sear it and cook to an internal of about 130. Rest ten minutes under a foil tent for juices to redistribute and serve it up. Another treat would be to put a pat or two of butter on the steak as you are resting it. It is simple but effective for my palate.
2nd!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You could also use some Montreal Steak Seasoning.

FWIW, the diet of deer impacts the flavor of the meat. Here in Southern Michigan they are mostly corn fed (like beef), but in Northern MI and the UP it's all wild feed. I won't eat venison from up there, it's really "gamey" tasting.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

This is what we do:

Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Sliced onions
olive oil or canola oil (optional)

Once you season with the above let it "marinate" in the fridge for a few hours. Onions are a good and natural tenderizer. Take it out about 45 mins prior to the meat hitting the grill. Basically get it to room temp. Nice bed of coals then hot and fast it as mentioned above. This is a favorite among friends who are hunters and bring the meat and I cook it.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
deerslayer8153
On the road to being a farker

Tenderize them (if they have not already been cubed) with a meat mallet. salt & pepper to taste then dredge in flour and pan fry. It won't take long, just get them crisp on the outside.

Now you can make gravy and eat them with the gravy spooned over them and some rice.

Or you can lightly brown them, make gravy add onions, put them in the gravy, cover and simmer til super tender.

Nothing is better!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I like them grilled hot and fast too...and keep them pink in the center.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=105674

Grilled with wild onion sauce...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=156909

I love them chicken fried too!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
sportsnut
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks awesome cowgirl !
sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuhunter View Post
Father inlaw gave me some venison steaks...

What suggestions do you guys have for them?
Do you know what cut it is? I.e., is this a loin (backstrap) cut into steaks or a roast of the deer's hindquarters (which would be where the top and bottom round, and sirloin would be. If these are loin steaks, you want it hot and fast on your grill. It is going to be like a filet mignon in texture and size. If it is off the hindquarters, it's going to be a little tougher. You can still go hot and fast, but you may want to tenderize ever so slightly as it will be much denser than the loin. Either way, you can't go wrong with a little oil (bacon grease!), salt, and pepper. Just be super careful not to over cook. If the deer came from farm country (looks like you are in Iowa) it was eating corn and wheat and will not be as gamy as a deer that was living in the woods eating acorns so you don't need to disguise the flavor. Keep it simple and you won't go wrong.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
+1 this is spot on.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
One of my many= Pressure cook and shred it, make gravy with stock, make shepards pie.
That sounds Dam good

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote