• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Father's Day Weekend Re-Do (PRON Heavy)

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Sorry for yesterday's post. Flickr may give 1 TB of free storage, but the ability to use those images is lacking. Went back to my trusty Photobucket to fix the problem.

Let's try this again...

Here's a pano of my "enhanced" cooking area at the camper.

Warmin' the wood...

St. Louis cut from a small, local butcher in Oshkosh.

Back ribs from WM, complete with "enhancements."

Lightly dusted with BPS Jallelujah.

Added a light layer of Sweet Money Rub and finished with Happy Endings.

On the SS BPS EDS...

Starting to look like BBQ...

St. Louis ribs finished in just over three hours.

Witness the carnage....

Back ribs went 5.5 hours and just pulled away from the bones.

We took it easy on Sunday. Got invited for an outing on the lake, so I didn't get peppers on smoker until 6:00 pm.

Started with some Bubba Burgers.

As usual, though, the peppers stole the show.

I played around with my original version and people raved about all the different flavors that hit them at different points in eating the peppers. Went with Capicola AND pulled pork inside the peppers this time. Combined with the feta in the cream cheese mixture, they really have a nice "gourmet: BBQ flavor to them.

Thanks for Lookin'!

Those Jalapenos look very tasty, you wing the recipe ? I have some left over pulled pork...nom nom.

Recipe isn't winged.

12 Jalapeno peppers, halved and seeds/veins removed
20 oz cream cheese
1/3 container of feta cheese, crumbled even more than as packaged
Dark brown sugar
1 package capicola
1 lb (or so) of pulled pork
Bacon slices (some of the peppers were HUMONGOUS and needed an entire slice of bacon; some of the peppers were smaller and I got by with 1/2 slice of bacon)

You can use ANY BBQ seasonings, but this combination had a TON of success:
BPS Money Rub
BPS Sweet Money Rub
BPS Jallelujah Jalapeno Bacon Rub
BPS Happy Endings Rub

NOTES:

I add the Money rubs right into the cream cheese/feta mixture. I used more Money than Sweet Money. It's just a taste thing, but my BIL calls it perfect when he feels he can dip chips right into the cheese and it tastes "right."

After mixing the cheeses and rubs, I put it into a poor-man's pastry bag, a 1-gallon ziplock, and refrigerate.

Order of "stuffing":
Pepper half
Bead of cream cheese
Capicola
Generous sprinkle of brown sugar
Pulled Pork
Wrapped in Bacon
LIGHT dusting of Jallelujah
LIGHT dusting of Happy Endings

That should just about cover it. If I can figure out the best way to prepare and keep these, I may try to sell these at the Fall harvest festival near our camper. Lots of local restaurants sell stuff in food stands, but I think I could make some serious $$ in two days with these. How to keep them warm without drying or overcooking.....

Looks great from here, I think I could even smell you rocking it out!!:rockon:

The peppers look great but not being a real fan of cream cheese, I think I would sub some cheddar in a few for me. I know the rest of the party would love them!

Since you have both a Big Pappa and a UDS, I have to ask if you have preference for either one??

Thermal,

I have had Big Red for a few years now, and too often I end up chasing temps. Even if I calculate wrong on the BPS SS, I can easily and quickly adjust the intakes to dial it back in. Those peppers ran solid at 212-220 the whole time. With one minor intake increase once we came off of the lake. I absolutely LOVE that smoker.

Even as someone who has now built four drums, I love the engineering that went into this to make it (almost) set-it-and-forget-it. The engineering reminds me of how folks can't explain how the PBC works the way it does, but it just does. BTW...that coal basket seems smaller, but even after 10 hours of rolling smoke the basket has a lot left to burn.

This should tell you something...I'm seriously considering selling Big Red to a neighbor at the campsite to give me startup cash to rock another SS BPS EDS. You do give up cooking surface area, but when it cooks the food so "right," I can live with that (or build #2/#5). Hope that helps.

Go LIGHT on the cream cheese when you lay down that bead (leaves more room for capicola and pulled pork). The feta just adds a different profile and texture, and the rub in the mix makes it uncreamcheese-like.

Back