MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Default Weber Kettle Question

I, like most of us, have seen many kettles. Untold sizes, colors, mods, etc. There is one thing that continues to vex me. Why do some models only have one handle on the kettle, but most have two? I know some have been broken off, some have been removed, but I know some came that way from the factory.

I have an '01(DA) OTG, two handles. I have an '86(H) OTS, two handles. I recently scored an '02(DU) OTS, one handle. I've been to various stores that have current models, and I only see them with two handles. Keep in mind, I'm only talking about the kettle, not including the lid. Any idea why this is?

Matt

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

All of the older kettles have two handles.
At some point, the OTG and MasterTouch had two handles, while the OTS had one. Not sure what year the change occurred, but it did.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I have two OTS, both of which only have one handle. Both from the early 2000's.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Bludawg

My 1989 OTS has Two and still has the original hinged grate too.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

2000 is when a lot of the major changes rolled out, most of them to save materials cost and keep the price down. Thats when the silver model went to single handles on the side, and I believe thats when they switched from wood to plastic or nylon handles. The older models were made with a thicker steel (the new ones are still plenty thick) and have a slightly better airflow/heat control, but are a pain in the arse IMO.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 03-19-2013 at 01:26 AM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you figure it out let me know!!! I make handles for these things and Weber continues to make little tweaks that mess me up. Of course, it has allowed me to buy all the new kettles to keep my business current..... as least that is what I tell my wife :)

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
mbshop
Babbling Farker

yea, its a process they went through and continue to mess around with. little changes will still pop up like the new 2013 golds front handle has hooks on the ends.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

My 30 odd year one, has only one handle

Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Update, I just grabbed an wooden handled EE('99) date code Silver(FREE). She only has one handle. Goes with the year 2000 theory. So if I'm understanding correctly, there's really no "set in stone" reason as to why they did that. To really change things up, she has daisy-wheel vents, not the One-Touch system. What's up with that? My H date code('86) has the One-Touch. I love 'em, but I think I'm more confused now.

Matt

Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

If your most recent score has three daisy wheels on the kettle, it's not a One Touch Silver, it's a Bar-B-Q-Kettle. The vents could have been replaced and therefore have an incorrect date stamp.
I have two 40 year old dual metal handled kettles that have lower vents with a date code of 2012.
The change from two metal handles to one wood handle was probably to reduce cost. The reason for the one handle and two handle kettles was to distinguish the OTG and Mastertouch from the OTS.
I think. But I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
Update, I just grabbed an wooden handled EE('99) date code Silver(FREE). She only has one handle. Goes with the year 2000 theory. So if I'm understanding correctly, there's really no "set in stone" reason as to why they did that. To really change things up, she has daisy-wheel vents, not the One-Touch system. What's up with that? My H date code('86) has the One-Touch. I love 'em, but I think I'm more confused now.

They did have the one touch before 2000, but it was mostly on the master touch (now the one touch gold). They might have had it on the one touch silver equivalent, but I'm not sure. The bar-b-kettle, which is no longer produced, is the model that did not come with the one touch system.

Either way, the entry level model- silver or its previous equivalent, went to a single handle on the sides around the year 2000 (give or take a year or two) in order to save costs.

Thanks from:--->