Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Thermometer Port Size

BoWingo

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I've posted this question on another BBQ forum. I apologize if this is considered bad etiquette, but I'm trying to maximize my chances of getting a quick, accurate answer.

Can anyone tell me what size and thread the thermometer port on an Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn smoker is?

I purchased two new thermometer's from River Country in 1/2" NPT assuming this was the size that I needed, but I was wrong (and we all know what happens when we assume, right?). As it seems that 1/2" NPT is the most common size and the quality thermometer manufacturers (including Tel-Tru) seem to treat this size as standard, I'm thinking of either drilling out and tapping the thermometer port to 1/2" NPT threads or installing a thread adapter similar to this one. The latter option is the one that requires me to figure out what size and thread the port currently has.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would not put it where the original one was

I would locate it closer to the cooking surface.

I was going to get a new one but ended up just marking on the outside rim with a paint pen when the grate temp was at 250, I made a mark.

I made another mark at 275.

I have a grate temp digital unit, between that and the marked one it covers things well

Thanks, guys. I'm really confused why my new 1/2" NPT thermometers don't fit. I'm going to have to look into this some more. Probably ought to take the thermometers to Home Depot and check the thread size to make sure that they really are 1/2" NPT.

As for positioning the new thermometers, I just can't bring myself to drill into the new smoker. At least if I mount them in the thermometer ports for now, I can still move them later. If I drill holes near grate level, I have to be sure to get it right as moving them would leave behind big, ugly holes. What to do, what to do?

Thanks for the help.

Back