Tex-Mex interpretation of Pepper Stout Beef

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I really liked the threads I have seen on the pepper stout beef. Really good way to do a chucky in my opinion. A couple of weeks ago I wanted to make some shredded beef enchiladas so I smoked a chucky for the filling. I created my own interpretation of the pepper stout process to incorporate more tex mex flavors. I used onions and jalepenos and used canned roasted tomato enchilada sauce + beer + beef broth for my liquid. It was awesome.

I am not making enchiladas today, but will be recreating the meat. It is good in tacos, over salad, or just by itself. It is awesome.

Here is the start:

1 5lb chuck roast. 2 onions. sliced Jalapenos. Liquid gold (garlic infused olive oil). 2 cans of enchilada sauce. 1 bottle of beer. Beef Broth.

I just put the roast on the UDS and will smoke over post oak at 225 until I hit about 165 internal or where I really like the bark. On the Primo, I am roasting the onions and peppers with liquid gold at about 325.

Last edited:
peppers and onions are cooked down enough. Deglazed pan with a dark Mexican beer and added a can of fire roasted tomato enchilada sauce (Hatch brand). I am leaving it on the Primo to take in some post oak smoke. I might add a can of petite diced tomatos later. Not sure. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:
"1 5lb chuck roast. 2 onions. sliced Jalapenos. Liquid gold (garlic infused olive oil). 2 cans of enchilada sauce. 1 bottle of beer. Beef Broth."

You're speakin' my language brother!!! That sounds like a great combination (almost like a Chicago beef w/peppers + smoke). Mmmm... Smoked taters or mac n cheese would be great with the finished roast alone. The tacos sound good too...

chucky is at 165 and I like the way it looks. Good smoker flavor and a nice smoke ring. In my opinion, the UDS puts out a better tasting product than my Primo and as a bonus produces a much better smoke ring.

I decided to keep the liquid as is. I did not put the second can of enchilada sauce in, nor did I add any beef stock. There is enough liquid to knock this out.

About to be foiled and back on the pit.

Last edited:
took longer than anticipated, but it is done. Very very delicious. Honestly, I am thinking about bumping brisket off of my Super Bowl menu for this. Here are the final pics

Last edited:
Very nice indeed.makes me wish it was winter here.
The referred to post ,made me try this ,but with an Aussie twist.
I will be playing with this dish.
love a Chuck.
Cheers.
Titch

looks real good!! but reminded me I need to start planing on Superbowl grub!

Pwa

Back