MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Angry Winter just made my 2nd Pavilion KAPUT!

Of course it just had to happen, how did I even think my 2nd pavilion could withstand the enormous weight of such heavy snowfall...

So the weight of the snow on the canvas made the middle buckle down, I first had to remove the snow, then remove the canvas, and two of the rods leading to the center are broken now. It's still operational but with very much reduced robustness. It can be fixed temporary by wiring the two rods to the middle pole, a more permanent repair would be to weld them (if I had the necessary equipment and knowledge; I have never welded before).

It will be snowing the whole week, so I have no idea if/how there will be some 'Q'ing going on the next weekend.

This is my second pavilion this year, the first one got trashed by heavy rain. If only those heavy duty pavilions wouldn't be that expensive over here...

Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

That's sad news, you might have to build something more substantial for your smoking area.
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

What ClayPhish says.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes, that was the plan, but still no idea for a permanent solution. The pavilion dit great till now, so it will have to do till a better idea comes up. We'll see about the weather for next weekend, unfortunately the forecast changes daily.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

That's why I built the Meat Manger. I lost two canopies in overnight snowfall, during cooks. Was just going to build a lean-to but ended up putting a deck on it too. I have a winter wrap on it to keep the snow out, but in the spring I plan to tongue and groove it and put in some country style windows with flower boxes on the outside, you know...to keep the wife happy about it.

GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

GreenDrake, that's a very nice and still simple solution, something like that would be awesome, but I kind of doubt I'll be able to create such.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Sorry to hear this How much snow
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

I like the "Meat Manger".
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Had to look up the word "manger", now I know its meaning

That pavilion was pretty tough, it survived all storms and rain since the summer, but the last few days it's snowing all the time, and even with less than 10" it was just too much weight for those thin rods.

GreenDrakel, your wood construct looks very appealing. What's on top of the wood as roof? Is it movable, or stationary? And how is the floor made?

Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

I need to build that for the summers here in California. Not sure how it would fly with the wife.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I am no construction guru, that is for sure. I was simply going to just do a roof with pressure treated four by fours in the ground on piers. The shear needed to be addressed, hence the large joists on the back and corners. Solid as a rock now. For the roof I just went to the local hardware store that has a lumber yard and bought brown corrugated steel roofing to lay over the fiber board on the top. It worked out great, total cost was around $300 to build it.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

That is great!
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

KAPUTTED! Sorry to see that! Power though it Brother!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
mbshop
Babbling Farker

sorry that happened.
lots of build ideas here.
http://www.grillsportverein.de/forum...ockhuettenbau/

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #15
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Really nice, I need to think about such a simple but ultra robust wood-framed shed. Will have to ask the wife though, because the placement of my actual 'Q'ing area between a young apple tree and the pool-deck is not ideal at all, and never was meant to be a permanent solution, so a shed on the very same place may not be approved.