How many have made this mistake?

W

Wildcat

I wondered how many of you have made a mistake when a recipe calls for chile powder?

I said "chile" powder not "chili" power, there is a difference and when mixed up will turn out something totally different than the recipe is for.

I was talking to a friend today and he was telling me how he tried a different recipe for a rub on his BBQ and end up throwing the whole thing away. He told me the recipe and it took a while to find out where the mistake was.

I've done it before and learned from my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest Ive never noticed. Thanks for the heads up.

Chile powder is pure ground ancho chile ( dried poblano chlie).

Chili powder is a combinmation of spices, usually inculing chile powder, cumin, oregano and garlic.

While both are used to make chili, the kind we eat with meats, beans, etc chile powder is used in different recipes for BBQ rubs and sauces. When trying a new and different recipe where someone has never tased it before so not knowing what it's suppose to tase like it's easy to mix them up later thinking you don't like the recipe.

After I learned the differince I went back over some recipes I could find and remade them changing my mind on some wither I liked them or not.

smokincracker said:
never seen chile powder

go here:

http://www.penderys.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

These are dried , ground chile pods. This site is the best source of dried chile's , be they ground ,or whole. They also have a huge collection of chili powders including the duplications of many Terlingua winners. I spend hundreds every year with these guys. Once you buy, they send a catalog which is easier to negotiate than the site. I recommend the :

Chipotle Mecco- gold chipotles-huge!
Pasilla de Oaxaca-Smoked pasilla chiles
Top Hat chili powder
Ft Worth Light chili powder
San Antonio Red Chili Powder

Try them! The Woody

Back