bskd burn time

D

dswfondy

After my first com. this past weekend, i noticed i was using more charcoal than most anyone else i think. I have a charcoal basket like the ones seen on here. How full should i be filling the basket? its 7" tall, i usually fill about 4" up. I can usually get a hour of constant temp than it starts slowly going down, so i add more charcoal. I used 3 1/2 bags of cowboy charcoal. I guess i cant complain i had a great first competition but just lookin to see how you all get longer burns.

Thanks,

Dswfondy

Branson's BBQ

In my Dera (cousin to a BSKD), I have a homemade basket about 6" tall which fills the firebox area with about 1 to 1.5 inches on the sides and ends.
I put a 3lb coffee can (with both ends removed) in the back corner of the basket on the end near the smokebox. Then, I fill the rest of the basket with Kingsford briquettes and cig pack size chunks (maybe 20% of volume or so).
Light off 3/4 chimney or so of coals and place them into the coffee can.
I pull the coffee can and let the Modified Minion Method do its magic :lol:

I get 4 to 5 hours before refueling at 250 degrees temp.
I scrape the ash pile back to the area where the coffee can was and pour on another load of Kingsford and chunks.
Never burned more than 20# on a 10+ hour brisket cook.

Have no idea how long lump would burn, guessing less time and consuming more than briquette. Never tried lump.

Works for me--
:lol:
TIM

Lump burns real fast and mighty hot. I stay away from the lump and get a 12 hour burn from less then a bag plus the wood that I am using.

kapndsl said:
In my Dera (cousin to a BSKD), I have a homemade basket about 6" tall which fills the firebox area with about 1 to 1.5 inches on the sides and ends.
I put a 3lb coffee can (with both ends removed) in the back corner of the basket on the end near the smokebox. Then, I fill the rest of the basket with Kingsford briquettes and cig pack size chunks (maybe 20% of volume or so).
Light off 3/4 chimney or so of coals and place them into the coffee can.
I pull the coffee can and let the Modified Minion Method do its magic :lol:

I get 4 to 5 hours before refueling at 250 degrees temp.
I scrape the ash pile back to the area where the coffee can was and pour on another load of Kingsford and chunks.
Never burned more than 20# on a 10+ hour brisket cook.

Have no idea how long lump would burn, guessing less time and consuming more than briquette. Never tried lump.

Works for me--
:lol:
TIM

I love the coffee can idea, that's something I will deffinately try.

Back