Advice for bad weather set up

danparker77

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I would appreciate some feedback on whether or not this is a good, bad, or ugly idea for me to set up my WSM during colder weather this year. Sorry the pic is a little dark. That is foiled sand in the charcoal bowl so you can get an idea of placement of the cooker. Also, I thought I got this in the picture but I didn't. There is an overhang just out of view in the shot of the cooker. Any thoughts?

Just found out I can't "flip" one of the pics. Sorry for such bad pictures and their orientation.

View attachment 59302

View attachment 59303

Last edited:
Looks like it should work. As long as you have easy access, or a helper to move the OSB, you should be fine. Only one true way to find out if it'll work or not.

Matt

maybe as long as you sit there for the entire cook with a fire extinguisher.

no fun, unless there is also a beer cooler protector in there.

really, i'd say ugly on many levels.

you're not protecting from cold, only wind.

you're VERY close to the house.

you are also VERY close to particle board.

personally, i don't see any upside.

The first thing I was told about doing a cook was to make sure to get it out from under the overhang on the house. You're awfully close to your house in that picture. If that doesn't make you nervous, maybe it should. :eusa_clap

Well, I set my WSM up in my garage in bad weather, and have no worries at all about safety.

The fuel is smoldering -- no flames. My garage floor is concrete. My garage door is open, above the WSM -- it is metal.

I do keep a hose near the cooker, but I do that outside too, as the whole state of Texas is prone to fires.

The pictured setup is not pretty. How do the neighbors think of it? Then again, I'm guessing it is only there on days you cook.

I think a WSM would be okay in that setup. I wouldn't do an overnite cook that way, unless someone stays up all night to monitor it.

CD

Didn't somebody just post the other day about going in the house for a couple minutes, or something like that, and coming back out to find their siding got melted? I'd be scared to keep it that close. :suspicious:

I cook on my wsms year round and really wind is the only thing that is bad. I use to use just a big piece of cardboard to protect from wind. Temp was never an issue other than I went through a bit more charcoal in the winter than the summer but still could do a full 10 hrs easy on the 22 and 16 on the 18 without adding more fuel. Oh yeah watch that vinyl siding!

Not to worry I sent these pics to your home insurance agency and they should be getting back with you soon.:laugh:
Dave

Back