MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default AccuSharp Knife Sharpener

Got mine today. All I can say is Wow! I have taken about 6 Knives and a Cleaver. Using about 6 swipes each these are all as sharp as a razor. We will see how long the edge lasts but my first impression is it works great. I think following with a good Stropping it can only be better.

It is a little odd to hold the Blade facing up towards you but very easy to get used to. Just need to be careful and pay attention. Do not do this after drinking, it could really hurt you. $20.00 with shipping and a extra set of replacement Blades. I think if it lasts as long as stated I could have gotten the one with no replacements as the Blades can be turned over for extended life.

Made in the USA to boot!!!

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
swamprb

Love mine!

Glad to see you got the fastest, sharpest and most accurate BLUE one!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

I used to use stuff like that. They end up scraping too much metal off your knives. Get some diamond hones or a Smiths diamond hone system

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZiLLa View Post
I used to use stuff like that. They end up scraping too much metal off your knives. Get some diamond hones or a Smiths diamond hone system
I am sure you may be right. My Knives are nothing special, decent and usable is about it. The AccuSharp does take some metal off but only a couple pulls and the blade is super sharp so not much taken off.

I will see how good it really is after a few months of using the Knives and seeing how well the edge holds. For my current stuff it is cheap and seems to do a nice job. If it turns my Cleaver into a Filet Knife, well I may need to reconsider.

Now if I had some Knives that cost Hundreds of Dollars you bet I would be looking at a much higher quality Sharpener.

Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Old 12-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

I ordered one based on this thread and got it today (yeah, Amazon Prime). I've used it on two relatively cheap (one really cheap) knives that I've never been able to get sharp since they were first new and they are now sharper than when new. Would I use this on a mega buck knife? Probably not, but I don't own any of those and doubt I ever will. This is a great tool for taking an ordinary knife and making it sharp enough to really use.
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy View Post
I ordered one based on this thread and got it today (yeah, Amazon Prime). I've used it on two relatively cheap (one really cheap) knives that I've never been able to get sharp since they were first new and they are now sharper than when new. Would I use this on a mega buck knife? Probably not, but I don't own any of those and doubt I ever will. This is a great tool for taking an ordinary knife and making it sharp enough to really use.
Same here, I had some knives I bought at Yard Sales. I tried to sharpen them with my Butcher's Steel and ran them through the Chef's Choice Electric, could not get an edge.

I think this little tool is good for setting an edge and then the edge could be refined with a Stone and some Stropping. Time will tell.

Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration